Snow day brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
The office closed and I had some grain on hand so I decided to brew. It has been a few months since i have gotten around to making a batch but it's like riding a bike. Mostly

I brewed an oatmeal molasses stout with plans for putting it on bourbon oak chips. It came out great but I missed my og by quite a lot. I was shooting for 1.074 but got 1.056. I had an extra half gallon left over (2.5 gal batch) so that's why I missed the og I'm assuming. Maybe I'll do a 90 min boil next time. I'm not going to oak this batch but i think it'll still be a good beer. I think ill bottle it too.

I used Irish stout malt for the first time so I'm looking forward to seeing how that affects this beer.
I still have enough ingredients to make it again so I'll try an imperial version soon.

I'm using sa05 and my basement is 58 degrees. Anyone think that's too cold? I'm going to move it upstairs by Sunday or Monday... still getting used to brewing in our new digs. My old basement was 64 degrees and the beers turned out great every time. Never had to warm it up to clean things up but I'm finding I have to do that here.

Latest posts

Back