SNIZZLE Tasting / Brew outing (Illinois Brewers)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
In another thread, we discussed getting together for a tasting and probably a group brew. Right now, we're targeting Friday, January 11th. The location is still in question, but it will be in the Naperville / Plainfield area.

Anyone interested?

I'd be up for a tasting on Friday night. Got the OK from SWMBO to have it here. I think a group brew may run too late and I have our company "Holiday" party downtown Chicago Saturday night. If you decide on the group brew I'll show up for support.

Damn...I have a wedding in Rockford that I'm in. Rehearsal and dinner on the 11th, wedding on the 12th. Then of course a mad rush back to my sisters place to hopefully watch the Seahawks (once they beat the Skins) vs. Packers on tivo.

Great idea though. I'll be getting drunk in honor of a wedding, the playoffs and a SNIZZLE function. I'll be with you in spirit.

FermentEd said:
Damn! It's hell getting old. Hope it turns out for the best...

Well, the good news is, I got a blood test last night and I do not have diabetes!:ban: So, I can continue drinking like the fish I am! OTOH, it is probably blood pressure and/or heart related.:eek: Time will tell.

Anyway, I can do Jan. 11th. That's my Dad's 70th birthday and we can hoist a glass to him. I agree brewing might go into the wee hours, so just doing a tasting is fine by me.

Since it looks like no one can really brew, I think perhaps keeping it to a tasting might be best.

So far it looks like it's FermentEd, rdwj, Snakebone, Rhoobarb and me (SRM775). Since most of you guys live in Plainfield it would make most sense to meet up at someone's house in Plainfield.

Both rdwj and snakebone agreed to host, so why don't you two guys decide which place will work best and let us know.

And again, if something comes up, I can always host too.

Well, if it's just for drinks, my house is cool. Brewing is much easier at Alan's house because he has the slick garage set-up. I'm good either way

Rhoobarb said:
Well, the good news is, I got a blood test last night and I do not have diabetes!:ban: So, I can continue drinking like the fish I am! OTOH, it is probably blood pressure and/or heart related.:eek: Time will tell.

Good to hear! Hopefully it's something minor

Well, as far as houses go ... I think the deciding factor should be who has a bar and a big screen tv? :mug:

By the way, I'm planning on bringing a 2 liter each of my stout and mild and a few bottles (cream ale, dubbel and cider). Will that be enough?

I talked to Rod and we are going to have it at my house Jan. 11th starting at 6:00 PM. We decided not only to do alot of tasting but maybe work on a small project such as this: http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/cheap_3_liter_kegs.htm
I'll pick up the parts for it. If anyone has another suggestion for a brew project let me know.

PM me for my address if you don't know where I live.

Snakebone said:
I talked to Rod and we are going to have it at my house Jan. 11th starting at 6:00 PM. We decided not only to do alot of tasting but maybe work on a small project such as this: http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/cheap_3_liter_kegs.htm
I'll pick up the parts for it. If anyone has another suggestion for a brew project let me know.

PM me for my address if you don't know where I live.

I'm in big boy!!!! and BUMP!

Definitely still in. I'll probably get there right at 6pm. I may pick up a growler from The RAM in addition to the two homebrew growlers I'll be bringing. They're having a 1/2-off sale on Growlers this month!

Kim and i cant make this one. The Windy City Roller's Black & Blue Ball is going on that night

vav said:
Kim and i cant make this one. The Windy City Roller's Black & Blue Ball is going on that night

Oh man, who'd you rather hang out with, a bunch of 30 something hombrewer's drinking beer, or hot roller-derby girls that can beat you up. Oh wait, I see your point:mug:

I believe Rod is bringing his wife and kids along. If anyone else wants to bring someone that's fine with me. Just let me know ahead of time so I have a good head count for munchies.

Snakebone said:
I believe Rod is bringing his wife and kids along. If anyone else wants to bring someone that's fine with me. Just let me know ahead of time so I have a good head count for munchies.

I'll only bring my kids if I can leave them there, whaddya say, you up for a 10 month old boy and 31/2 year old boy?

Snakebone said:

If so, I might bring Kelly. Let me know.

Roughly 127th and Rt 59.

....and welcome! You a new brewer or just new to the board?

Snakebone said:
db, if you decide to come just PM me for the address.

Thanks!!! I'll prolly come with FermentEd.... I will also have some beers to sample. Homebrew and maybe a special commercial beer.

cheers!

Joe Dragon said:
Well for the 20th time I suck at the get-togethers. I’m on Sanibel Island suffering by the pool in 84 degree weather. They do have a pretty nice selection of beers (of topic), Franziskaner, Eulinger (meh), Land Shark (yuck Corona), Key West Sunset lager and an outstanding IPA called Full Sail. I have a sixer of Bells Oberon too that is quite tasty.

Have fun fellas and take some pictures to post.

I'm beginning to think you don't like us Joe! :D

rdwj said:
I'm beginning to think you don't like us Joe! :D
After reading where he is and what he's doing, I'm beginning to think I don't like him! I hope you get a horrible sunburn, Joe!:D

Just kidding.;) We'll try and catch you next time.

Looks as if I may be late to this one. Will we be getting dinner, should I bring anything? Let me know. It's weird having homebrewers local. When I lived in Brookfield, I think, FrementEd was the closest to me, besides the city brewers. Mostly brewed by myself. I've hosted a couple brew-togethers that got a little crazy... :drunk: I'll have to host some over the summer.

cheers!

We're gonna bring wings for adults and mini-corn dogs for kids. Anything else we need to bring?

rdwj said:

But of course ... that was just assumed. Few bottles of dubbel, 2 liters of a mild, 2 liters of my vanilla bourbon stout, a few bottles of a cream ale and a few 22 oz of my dubbel.

I'll probably bring a bottle of wine as well. My wife isn't a big beer drinker.

db_brew said:
hmmm... I have a bottle of Dark Lord that I was going to bring. Should I hold off on it?
No. I plan to sleep in Snakebones bathtub.

If that bottle is divided amongst the group for tasting it shouldn't have a significant effect.

Bad news! My Wee Heavy keg started spitting air last night! That means I only have Hobgoblin to share. :(

rdwj said:
Bad news! My Wee Heavy keg started spitting air last night! That means I only have Hobgoblin to share. :(

Better than nothin'!

Friday is $5.00 pizza day at Dominick's. Maybe I'll pick up a couple. Nothing says "Life is good" like pizza & beer.

Had a great time. It was good to see everyone again. Tasted some excellent beers! Thanks to Snakebone for hosting.:mug:

I agree - thanks Snakebone! Great beers and lots of fun. The SWMBOs and kids seemed to have fun too.

Thanks to everyone for coming over and bringing such great beers. We'll have to do that more often. SWMBO said she had a good time, looks like the green light for another get together some time to me.

Thanks snakebone for hosting ... the SWMBO and the kids had a good time and the beer was excellent. My only regret was not getting to try more.

Yes, thanks SB! The Lonely Pole Brewery was a nice atmosphere for our tasting. Had a great time. Good eats, good brew and it was nice to see everyone again. Wish I could have stayed longer. We need to do this again soon!

Back