Smokey bars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, history disagrees with you. There were *no* non-smoking bars around here until the laws were passed.

History means nothing in a case like this. At least, not the way you imagine. A large percentage of the population used to be smokers. An even greater percentage of bar patrons were smokers too. If a bar wanted to make money, it needed to accommodate smokers. Not that there was much of a reason for a bar owner to even frame the question in his mind, since smoking was not socially frowned upon. There was virtually no demand for non-smoking establishments.

That started to change some 20 to 30 years ago as the awareness of the dangers of smoking, public advocacy against it, and public sentiment opposing second hand smoke began to grow. Today, there are enough people, including owners of bars and restaurants, who prefer eating and drinking in a smoke-free environment that many of them would require no ban to aid their decision to be smoke-free.

You don't need smoking bans. Given that non-smokers now outnumber smokers by a wide margin, simple market dynamics would serve to satisfy either preference. Or do you think that a bar or restaurant will risk alienating the non-smoking majority of its clientele by allowing indiscriminate smoking throughout its establishment?

If history tells us anything, it is that a business establishment will cater to the wishes of its clientele because that tends to increase its revenue and profits.

In the workplace.

What if I have my own business and my employees smoke? I don't discriminate, but I only hire smokers as well. I just can't trust anyone that won't have a smoke and a beer with me.

On another note, people blame any expense of healthcare on smoking, but I know lots of people that haven't smoked and have huge hospital bills, and guess what? They still died. Hmm, its nice in a perfect world to think no one will die or have any disease if we just put down the cigarette, but apparently the government hasn't banned disease yet. Then they can fine us when we have something.

Has anyone ever heard a bar employee complain about smoking? Me neither... must have forgotten how with their rediculous tips. Or, they just accept it as part of the job, just as how cops and military accept possible acute lead poisoning as part of theirs.

The issue is elimination of free choice in a free market by the government for an activity that is not inherently malicious and has easy solutions. What's next?

Even worse, is the clumsy and incompetant manner in which they are enacted- in my home state (WA) the smoking ban was enacted with no provisions for cigar or hookah bars. Thus, some irritated and misguided people basically shut down peoples' businesses for their own convenience, even though they would never patronize those places in the first place.

Even worse, is the clumsy and incompetant manner in which they are enacted- in my home state (WA) the smoking ban was enacted with no provisions for cigar or hookah bars. Thus, some irritated and misguided people basically shut down peoples' businesses for their own convenience, even though they would never patronize those places in the first place.[/QUOTE]

That's F'd up.

Latest posts

Back