Smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friarjohn

Reaction score
i want to make a ugly drum smoker. anyone use have one? I would like a bradley or a treager, but right know my budget isnt big enough to allow for a rig that expensive.

Smokers are nice, but since I, like you, don't have the money to drop on a smoker, I use my weber grill. Not sure if you have access to a basic charcoal kettle grill, but I have had great success using mine. Low coals on one side, meat on the other and you are ready to go. I have honestly been astounded with how well mine has worked, it just takes patience and a bit more attention.

I use a modded smoke-n-pit first generation, there is someone on here with a double drum colossis, its huge!! with details and parts sources for a build!

single and double drum smokers are super easy to make, fairly cheap and make great smoked foods. here's a couple of mine:
turkey.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I built an Ugly Drum Smoker. I love it. I have cooked all kinds of things on it. I even did an overnight cook. I highly recommend it.

Here is a picture from when I first built it. I have added pipe nipples and a valve to the intakes instead of using the magnets.

02-22-09_1009.jpg

yeah..if you just do a search on the net..you'll find many many plans to build these and places that sell the firedoors, piping, vents, dampers, etc etc. You can put one together real easy. The single barrel one above that Ryan posted is a great one, but I found that with the fire and heat source directly below the food, you still have a chance of getting to hot in there and cooking rather than smoking. You want more smoke and less heat to reach your meats in a smoker. So the double barreled or offset smokers are best, as it puts the fire in an entirely different chamber and you can control how much heat and smoke go into the "food" chamber

Good luck
Dan

Back