Smoker Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. It's not automatic, but doesn't take much to maintain an even temperature. You can use wood chunks and not need to feed it lots of chips. Actually, smoke is only necessary for the first hour or so. Too much smoke and you end up with very acrid tasting meat.

Google "Big Green Egg". Your life will never be the same. I smoke, grill, roast, and bake in mine; sometimes all in one day. (actually two days since I smoke overnight).

In fact, I am cleaning it up tonight and doIng the first burn of '10. Just a sausage, because brewng has taken up most of my energy lately. :)

Go to bbq.about.com, there is a lot of good information about smokers. Pros and cons of the different types, reviews of pretty much every smoker out there, and top 10 lists buy price range. Very helpful, I bought mine after learning a lot on this site. I got the Masterbuilt 7-in-1 and I love that I can use propane or charcoal as my heat source, but it is a cheapo and after one season I am looking to upgrade to the Weber Smokey Mountain. Get something decent the first time.

I love my Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker. It's not automatic, but doesn't take much to maintain an even temperature. You can use wood chunks and not need to feed it lots of chips. Actually, smoke is only necessary for the first hour or so. Too much smoke and you end up with very acrid tasting meat.

thats the one or the green ege. I cant find a deal anywhere on the weber

You can get the 18.5 inch Smokey Mountain Cooker for less than the one you're looking at. The newer 22 inch is much more expensive.

Don't buy one. Like someone said before build a UDS (upright/ugly drum smoker). You should be able to do it for under $100 and it will outperform just about anything other than some of the top of the line stuff. Just google "building a UDS" and it will come back with tons of stuff. I am going to be doing one myself in the next month or so.

Don't buy one. Like someone said before build a UDS (upright/ugly drum smoker). You should be able to do it for under $100 and it will outperform just about anything other than some of the top of the line stuff. Just google "building a UDS" and it will come back with tons of stuff. I am going to be doing one myself in the next month or so.

i'd be interested in seeing the progress of that. It saw on craiglist some drums but where can you find foodgrade. Are you using a sawzall or grinder for the cuts?

The key is to not made any cuts at all. You want the thing to be vitually airtight. That is what makes it work so well. From what I have read you can easily have one load of charcoal last 16-18 without reloading and hold pretty dead on to whatever temp you want the whole time.

You pretty much make a couple air inlet holes at the bottom and cap all but one off and but a ball valve on the other. Then you just need to make a charcoal basket to sit in the bottom and mount a grate about 24" above it. I found a place about 10 miles from me that sells refurbed barrels so I don't need to worry about what was in them before. It is called an ugly drum smoker for a reason, but it works amazingly.

I planned on doing a build thread in the cooking section here when I do mine.

My gf's uncle is a Green Egg distributor up here in the NW and needless to say we always get to enjoy something made on the Egg for dinner over there. Incredible stuff. I'm sold on one, just need to extra $$ to get one. Hope your search ends well and you're smoking soon.

UDS is too redneck for me but try weber smoky mountain or for more automation try green egg.

I have a Char Broil Smoker off set smoker that I love. I can set it up to do cold smokeing too. I have even smoked grains in it for a smoked beer. Which after about 4 months in the fridge turned out amazing.

Latest posts

Back