Smoked Porter help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomroeder

Reaction score
Hey all, brewing tomorrow, shooting for a stone smoked porter clone. Here is the recipe that I found so far, but it seems too big for a Stone clone, since Stone smoked porter is only 5.something % ABV, and this recipe is huge.

My main question is the recipe calls for smoked peated malt, but my LHBS only has peated malt, and smoked malt, which one should I use?

Here is the recipe

13.15 lbs 2 row
1.42 lbs caramel 75
.72 lbs chocolate
.39 lbs peated smoked malt
mash 152

1.55 oz columbus for 90 minutes
.75 oz columbus 10 minutes
1.29 oz columbus 0 minutes

OG 1.083
FG 1.020
IBU 111

1/2 cup heavy toast oak chips, boiled and added to fermenter. They did not specify if they were to be American or French, so I got French, should I adjust? Do I only put the boiled water in the fermenter, or should I put the chips in there too?

This recipe seems too big for me, I will be scaling it down. Any suggestions to get it closer to Stone Smoked Porter?

Thanks in advance!

all peated malt is smoked regardless of if it is called "smoked peated malt" or just "peated malt". By all accounts peated malt is strong stuff, so be careful not to add too much.

The different oaks will give you different characteristics - you are fine with the French, which is milder and/or smoother. I have added the water along with the cubes, but have heard others prefer not to. With a smoked porter, I would say to go ahead and add the water since the beer is bold enough to handle the extra wood character.

If you want to scale it down, I would probably keep the percentages of each malt the same, though you may need to scale the base malt down more than the specialty malts to keep the color and body the same

I don't know enough to comment on the grain bill but I will say, from experience, careful with the oak chips. I would add about half of what your recipe calls for and then rack to a secondary and get a taste of it at that time and add or don't add any more chips as needed for taste. I made a Firestone DBA clone that had 2oz. in primary and 1oz. in secondary and when i tasted the FG sample the oak flavor seemed way over the top.

My $0.02

This is what I've got for Stone Smoked Porter Clone (from BYO)

10.75 lbs 2-row, 12 ozs Crystal (75L), 1.75 lbs Chocolate Malt, 4 ozs lightly peated malt. Mash 154 F.
12.5 AAU Perle (90 mins), 0.5 ozs Mt Hood (15 mins).
WLP002 yeast.

OG: 1.064, FG: 1.018, IBU = 53, ABV = 6.0%.

No Oak.

However, I do like an oaked, smoked, robust porter. I'm not sure Columbus is right for flavor or aroma additions, maybe Willamette or fuggle would be better. Columbus is mainly a bittering hop.

I like to soak my oak in spiced rum and add the whole lot to the secondary.

How much Perle for the 90 minute?

12.5 AAU

AAU = % AA of your hops x amount in ounces

so:
1 ounce of 12.5% AA
or
2 ounces of 6.25% AA

etc

Just divide 12.5 by whatever %AA your hops are to find out how many ounces you need

Back