Smoked Pork Loin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chello

Reaction score
The in-laws loved the past couple turkeys i have smoked for family get-togethers and are requesting a cut of pork that is best served sliced. Naturally a pork loin came to mind. Do they smoke well? I'm worried about the lack of fat and it becoming dry.

Any other recommendations? Rubs? Wood types?

I smoked a whole loin (cut into two pieces) not too long ago. I brined it in Alton Brown's orange brine for pork, rubbed it lightly with some standard pork butt rub, smoked it at 225*F (with a couple chunks of cherry wood) until the middle hit 150*F.

It turned out really well. I sliced it into ~3/4" pork chops, but it also would've been great sliced really thin. I'll try and find a picture that I took of it...

EDIT: here's 1/2 of it...

IMAG00561.jpg

Just don't trim the fat cap, such as it is.

+1 on checking temp. Not overcooking is key with pork loin.

Personally, I think smoked pork loin is one of the best things to smoke. Usually the price is good, the yield is good, and it doesn't take all day. I often see loin priced less than ribs.

I often cross hatch the top and rub in cajun seasoning, then smoke over hickory and/or cherry.

Rubbed with Brisket Rub and smoked over oak at 225 degrees until 180 degrees inside. Wrapped in paper kept in cooler for one hour rest then sliced.
PA060060.jpg

Does the standard pork loin have the fat cap still on or does you normal grocery chain store trim the fat?

Does the standard pork loin have the fat cap still on or does you normal grocery chain store trim the fat?

depends on the store and the butcher, you would know by the layer of white on one side of it; if it doesnt have the fat cap on its no biggie, you can always cover with bacon :p

Pork Loin has now moved to my go to dish. Have had numerous friends request Pork Loins cooked for them. Friday night I did (4) 5# loins for my friends son college graduation. I like doing them because they are not as labor intensive as a brisket or pork shoulder.

My method is pretty much like everyone elses. I buy the big rolls which in Iowa are dirt cheap. The ones I bought Friday at Wal-Mart were $1.69 a pound. Couple of days out smother them with a Horseradish Mustard and dry rub. Cover and let sit for several days refrigerated.

Day of cooking I throw them on the smoker fat side up and smoke with favorite wood at 225 degrees. When internal hits 125 flip them over and finish at 150 degrees. Usual cook time is about 4 hours.

I then put them in a aluminum pan and place them in a unheated oven and let them cool off, and then slice and serve.

One thing I do that is a little different is mix one part Apple Juice, Worchester and Soy Sauce and spray the loins every 30 - 45 minutes.

If I have left overs all the better. Makes great sandwiches.

TD

Welp, i'm going for it. Bought a whole loin this afternoon and put a paptrika, brown sugar, kosher salt rub on it. Will smoke it tomorrow afternoon along with some chicken wings.

Thanks for the help everyone. Cheers.

Chello said:
Welp, i'm going for it. Bought a whole loin this afternoon and put a paptrika, brown sugar, kosher salt rub on it. Will smoke it tomorrow afternoon along with some chicken wings.

Thanks for the help everyone. Cheers.

WHAT!?! No garlic?!?

Delicious! Smoked it till 165 and let it rest an hour or so.

The family loved it, and i have a good bit left over that makes really good sandwiches!

Back