smoked cal common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npray

Reaction score
any thoughts on my recipe? i'm looking for something different to brew, i already have two hoppy batches almost ready to bottle.

5.5gal

10lbs pale malt
1lbs crystal 75
1lbs mesquite smoke malt

1oz cluster fwh
.5oz cluster 20min
.5oz cluster 10min
1oz cluster fo
roughly 46ibu

mash at 148 for 60 min
Est OG 1.051
Est FG 1.016

pitch starter of wy2112

Try it. Nice simple recipe should work well. I have not brewed a smoked beer yet, but I'm also thinking about a smoked California Common. Tentatively, I was thinking about 50% Munich, 10% crystal 40, 10% Briess smoked malt, and 30% american 2-row. OG about 1.052, about 35 IBUs. Probably would lay off the finishing hops to let the smokiness come through. Ferment with Wyeast 2112 at 60 degrees.

I plan to brew it middle of this week, making a starter monday and stepping it up a few times first since the yeast is expired. I had a coffee rauchbeir from a local brewery and fell in love lol, had to make a smoke beer of my own :mug:

Finally brewed this the other night. my mash efficiency has been higher with my last few brews at 78% and 80%. my OG came out to 1.061 and it is slowly bubbling away at 64, i plan to let it free rise in a day or two up to room temp. this yeast doesn't seem as active as my other fermentations have been though.

Back