smells good tastes good looks infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungry4hops

Hop to it!
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone might know what this is?
its northern brewers rebel rye porter brewed on 6/7/13 og 1.062
moved to secondary on 6/15/13 with a fg 0f 1.019 oak cubes that were soaked in burbon for a week were added
i plan on kegging this one out of fear of bottle bombs!
my questions are:
1. do you know what this is?
2. is my better bottle ruined?
3. what would you do with it?(hoping sour brewers will chime in)
btw ive brewed 40+batches and never had a problem thanks in advance!

20130729_165130.jpg

20130723_200838.jpg

20130729_165120.jpg

20130729_165105.jpg

I'm no expert on infections, but it's possible this could just be dead yeast. I've had batches that looked similar to this before but tasted and smelled fine and were not infected or moldy, it was simply just dead yeast.

I would recommend kegging it, but not racking the liquid on top. You'll know soon enough if it's infected, but if it continues to smell/taste fine then it's probably fine.

As for your better bottle, as long as its cleaned/sanitized properly it should be fine.

BanginBanjo said:
I'm no expert on infections, but it's possible this could just be dead yeast. I've had batches that looked similar to this before but tasted and smelled fine and were not infected or moldy, it was simply just dead yeast.

I would recommend kegging it, but not racking the liquid on top. You'll know soon enough if it's infected, but if it continues to smell/taste fine then it's probably fine.

As for your better bottle, as long as its cleaned/sanitized properly it should be fine.

Concur.

That looks a lot like what I get every now and then.

A little hard to tell at this point, but it could be the beginnings of a pediococcus infection. At this point let it alone and if it gets bigger and starts to smell a bit, then you'll know. If it doesn't, even better! Even if it does turn out to be infected, just rack it over and leave the infection on top out and you may still be fine. I had a porter that got infected with pediococcus that looked like that, racked it and it was ok. In short, RDWHAHB.

Pictures of my infection:

Picture 1

Picture 2

In secondary for six weeks with oak cubes? I'm thinking infected.

Rack on top of 3lbs of crushed raspberries and bottle in a year.....

Thanks! That looks like what I have its been the same for like 2 weeks hasn't gotten any bigger/worse so hopefully I'm just being paranoid!

In secondary for six weeks with oak cubes? I'm thinking infected.

Rack on top of 3lbs of crushed raspberries and bottle in a year.....

I've done it before without any issues, but I do like that idea!

Back