Smelling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoCoPoboy

Reaction score
So my Must, has been fermenting for almost 7 days and i noticed the smell comming from it is really hard to describe it honestly smells like funky bread is this smell normal?

is there certain smells you look out for?

Fermentation is a smelly process (sometimes really smelly depending on the yeast strain). Sounds to me like everything is running smoothly.

the closet i keep my wine in when fermenting totally reeks during certain times of the process.. good thing its the hall closet and we typically aren't using coats when i'm fermenting wine :) would never call it pleasant, but wine has always turned out great!

The last few ciders I did smelled wonderful while they were fermenting. I used premier cuvee yeast. It smelled like yeasty apples :). My skeeter pee, however, smelled like yeasty lemons with a hint of puke. I smelled it this morning, and its not smelling as funky anymore. I've read about some horror stories on these boards about some putrid odors, but I thankfully haven't had to deal with that yet.

I've seen some people refer to the bubbling odors from their airlocks as "Rhino Farts" which are about as pleasant as you imagine.

it is hydrogen sulfide, wip your must and it should go away. If it doesnt go away after you clear then you have a problem but most of the time it does.

Back