Smashbomb Atomic Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I made this recently and everyone seems to really like it. Smashbomb Atomic by Flying Monkeys Brewery is one of my favourite IPAs. This clone I think does a great job replicating the beer.

Malts

9lbs 2-row
3lbs Victory Malt
8oz Wheat Flakes
0.6oz Black(Patent) Malt
0.7oz Crystal 60

Hops

0.5oz Citra Mash 60 mins
0.5oz Citra First Wort
0.5oz Citra 60mins
0.5oz Citra 30mins
0.5oz Citra 15mins
0.5oz Citra Dry Hop 7 Days
0.5oz Centennial Dry Hop 7 Days

Yeast
Safale US-05

OG 1.065
FG 1.017
SRM 11.8
ABV 6.2%
IBUs 66.2

Mash at 156 for 60 mins. 60 min boil.

dyucmp.jpg

Can you put a light behind a pint? Your's looks darker than the pint I had at the pub last night. It's one of my favourites as well.

I'd be curious to know how close this is (3lbs of Victory? Really?) I had it as C'est What last time I was in T.O. and loved it!

Can you put a light behind a pint? Your's looks darker than the pint I had at the pub last night. It's one of my favourites as well.

If I had more I'd definitely do this for you but unfortunately I'm all out. It did turn out darker than I had hoped. Buddy I was brewing with dropped in more black malt than what was required. Taste wise though its really quite close to the real thing, I'm incredibly happy with the recipe.

The hop schedules of your recipes are similar, but the grain bill is pretty vastly different.

The hop schedules of your recipes are similar, but the grain bill is pretty vastly different.

Like I said, I'm a newb. We're both using the same grains, the only big difference is my quantity of Victory Malt. I'm not trying to be defensive, just want to know why this is an error. Personally I was extremely happy with how my recipe turned out, minus the colour ofcourse. But as mentioned above, my buddy didn't put in the proper amount of black malt.

I don't think anyone said you made an error, just that it seems like using 30% Victory is a lot. If you like what you brewed, roll with it. All that matters is what you enjoy drinking.

Yup, like BRob said 30% Victory is not something you see a lot of. But hey, I tip my cap to you for givin' it a shot and starting this thread for sure!

I don't think anyone said you made an error, just that it seems like using 30% Victory is a lot. If you like what you brewed, roll with it. All that matters is what you enjoy drinking.

So Victory is typically used in smaller quantities? Like ounces?

Typically you see most of these specialty malts at fractions of a pound, occasionally a full pound or more, but there's always the rare recipe calling for tons of something.

Here is my version. I live about 300 yards from the brewery and this is on of my favorites. I basically took one of the recipes above and tried to adjust the color to fit better and adjusted the victory for a more normal usage.

I may adjust the hops a bit to get closer to 70 IBU as the citra I got was a bit lower acid than i had planned. Any other thoughts?

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Smashbomb IPA Clone
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal