Smash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimlin

Reaction score
Just ordered some 4 oz hop packets from Farmhouse Brewing and am wondering if I might try doing my first SMASH brew.

Got some Mosaic and Citra coming. Have never brewed with either. Also getting some Chinook and Columbus as I can always find a good use for those.

Looking for thoughts on SMASH brewing. Pale ale.. best to go with Golden Promise vs reg 2-row? Any thoughts from your experiences doing SMASH beers is appreciated.

Golden Promise,Maris Otter, Vienna,Munich, Pilsner........
The world is your oyster on this as there are only two ingredients to go for in each brew.

I did a belma and MO smash. 1.065 OG w/ 60 IBUs or so. It was the first real smash I've done. I was shocked at how good the malt character was. It was nice and dry, but not thin, good malt character (especially when it warmed up a tad). I think I mashed at 152 or so.

So I won't tell you 2-row will be bad (haven't tried it), but I can recommend MO.

Back