Smash with breiss 2-row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
Anyone tried this? I want to make a one gallon batch (don't have enough grain for a 5 gallon batch) of beer using just what I have on hand...

4 lbs briess 2-row
.5 oz hallertau
.5 oz EKG
.5 oz fuggle
.5 oz williamette
.5 oz citra
1 smackpack us-05

The only other thing is I do suppose I could get some caramel 80l or something but I'm really trying to kind of burn up my inventory for now

Was still planning on one hop was just stating what I had available

I find Briess 2-row to be lifeless on its own, but paired a bold hop like Citra you should get a nice beer. I'd mash a little high to add body and mouth-feel.

I agree that mashing higher will be helpful indeed. I personally haven't thought to use just 2-row because it doesn't add much of anything. Like AnOldUR said, it could probably make a nice beer with Citra.

I have a citra smash on tap right now. It's very good. I used 2-row so the hops would come through unobstructed.

I vote for citra!

That's actually funny...I wrote this recipe before I read the responses and also had decided on citra....

Blonde ale (ish)

The gravity is a touch high for style although its by like 2 points...the ibu is also 1.9 points high but here it is

1.056 O.G.
1.014 F.G.
29.6 IBU
3.86 SRM
5.50 ABV

1.5 gal Boil Volume
1 gal final volume

2lbs BREISS 2-row

.1 oz citra 15 min
.1 oz citra 10 min
.25 oz citra 5 min

Us-05

Was going to mash at 152 degrees until I read the above responses...I'm open to suggestion on this

But 60 min single infusion mash

60 min boil

However I am curious if I'm only boiling hops for 15 min do I really need a 60 min boil?

I may brew this tomorrow morning or afternoon and I'm new to recipe formulation so I'm definitely open to suggestions

You don't need a full 60 minutes. But the longer you boil the more DMS precursors you drive off. Probably should stay at 30 minutes or longer....

Might get slightly more flavor and color from maillard products with a longer boil as well

You don't need a full 60 minutes. But the longer you boil the more DMS precursors you drive off. Probably should stay at 30 minutes or longer....

Might get slightly more flavor and color from maillard products with a longer boil as well

Dms=diacetyl?
I'm unsure of what maillard means...

I may stick with at least a 45 min boil and I will try to mash around 156 degrees..

Thanks for the advice all of you

If using US-05, try to keep the temps in the low-60s during primary. Higher ferm temps with that yeast often yield some peachy-like off-flavors.

DMS = dimethyl sulfide. It adds a bad, "creamed corn" or grassy flavor. Longer boils drive off DMS precursors, which is also why you never want to boil with a lid on. You want those to vent off.

Maillard is basically the chemical reaction between amino acids and sugars. It's sometimes called the "browning reaction."

Fermenting in the low 60's is an issue I have no room for a swamp cooler...I have a cream ale currently fermenting at 68 degrees

DMS concerns with regular 2-row? Is that really a problem if he does a 30+ minute boil without a lid on? I thought the main concern with DMS came from Pilsner malt. Please tell me if I'm mistaken.

ZB

DMS concerns with regular 2-row? Is that really a problem if he does a 30+ minute boil without a lid on? I thought the main concern with DMS came from Pilsner malt. Please tell me if I'm mistaken.

ZB

Yes.
No.
Pilsner tends to generate more DMS, hence the need for 90 mins.
Not mistaken, just a matter of degree. 2-row can generate DMS in the boil, albeit not as much as pilsner.

It's not just the DMS but also the stuff that turns into DMS during fermentation (i.e. DMS precursors)... Longer more vigourous boils reduces those as well. Supposedly 60 minute boil drives off about 67% and 90 minutes about 75%.

There will always be some DMS, and it's easier to mask it in darker and/or hoppier beers. Sometimes you even want a *little* corniness, depending on the style.

I don't know how much DMS and precursors are in 2-row. I know it's less than in Pilsen Malt and 6-row. But I'm not sure you could get away with a 15 minute boil like in the recent frontpage article by WoodlandBrew for extract.

Plus you'll want a decent hot break. And probably 30 minute or so of bittering anyway.

Alittle off topic...I recently brewed the cream of 3 crops ale and I boiled 90 min with lid on because I had not heard about the Dms thing.

Is my beer gonna taste like cream corn? Just in case you're unfamiliar with the recipe the grain was 6lbs 2-row, 2 lbs instant grits, and 1 lb of minute rice

Thanks for the response. I didn't really care for the 15 brew article, though he wouldn't have DMS problems because he was 'all' extract (he didn't address adjunct grains in the article)

Alittle off topic...I recently brewed the cream of 3 crops ale and I boiled 90 min with lid on because I had not heard about the Dms thing.

Is my beer gonna taste like cream corn? Just in case you're unfamiliar with the recipe the grain was 6lbs 2-row, 2 lbs instant grits, and 1 lb of minute rice

Lid on the whole time? Maybe... Even with the lid on, you're still pushing a little steam (and what not) out from under, so you might be alright. 90 mins. is usually overkill for Co3C I would say, but with the lid on it probably helped to go longer. Did you happen to notice your boil-off rate with the lid on? If you lost a decent amount of volume anyway maybe you got rid of your DMS & precursors too.

I do Co3C regularly and don't get much corn flavor from the grits. So if you taste a bit of corn it could be DMS.

It seemed to me I lost about the same amount due to boil off as I normally do

Hops are measured out grains are doughed in...3 gal. BK sitting in oven for 60 min mash....starting to toy with the idea of adding homemade caramel syrup with water, cinnamon, and brown sugar

Didn't go with the caramel, wort is cooling out in the snow, spent grain dog biscuits are in oven, kids are sat down eating dinner........busy day

Well I wasn't paying attention last night and was really tired and I pitched a whole packet of us-05 in a one gallon batch and now I have a very clear 1/2 gallon batch of beer a full overflow cup and a huge mess in my gun cabinet where I ferment...luckily that's not where my guns are

Back