SMaSH suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolhand78

Reaction score
Hey everyone — I just cracked open my first bottle of my very first BIAB and first SMaSH beer. For anyone who has helped out in any of my previous threads, thanks! It is a Maris Otter Citra SMaSH, and I'm really happy with it.

So, my main reason for wanting to do SMaSH is that I want to get to know ingredients so I later have a better appreciation for them when creating more complex recipes.

So, I want to know what I should do for my next SMaSH. If someone were to enroll in a class, SMaSH 101, what ingredients would be most important to learn next? I'm thinking I should do something with 2-row, so I can tell the difference from MO, but what hop variety would you suggest?

Thanks for your input! :mug:

Hey everyone — I just cracked open my first bottle of my very first BIAB and first SMaSH beer. For anyone who has helped out in any of my previous threads, thanks! It is a Maris Otter Citra SMaSH, and I'm really happy with it.

So, my main reason for wanting to do SMaSH is that I want to get to know ingredients so I later have a better appreciation for them when creating more complex recipes.

So, I want to know what I should do for my next SMaSH. If someone were to enroll in a class, SMaSH 101, what ingredients would be most important to learn next? I'm thinking I should do something with 2-row, so I can tell the difference from MO, but what hop variety would you suggest?

I'm partial to Amarillo hops. My favorite so far, even tho I don't have a lot of brews under my belt.

Brew on :mug:

A lot of people go with something a bit more complex than plain 2 row to get a little bit of malt flavor. I like Maris Otter and Golden Promise for that reason though I haven't yet done a SMaSH with Golden Promise.

I have used Columbus and Nugget in SMaSH recipes so far. The Nugget was.... interesting.

If you want to compare two malts by making SMaSH, don't add other variables. Use the same hops and yeast as before.

The only SMaSH i have done was a 2-row and mosaic and it was amazing still one of my favorite brews. 2-row is such a simple base malt really let the complexity of the mosaic shine through

I just bottled a 2-row with Tettnang and Wyeast 3724. It's not carbed yet, of course, but the sample I pulled was dry, tart, and fruity. If that profile holds, I think it's going to turn out absolutely loverly!

Back