SMASH recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illomenbrewery

Reaction score
Well I am attempting my first all-grain brew session this weekend. I am using a recipe I found in the last Brew Your Own magazine.

SMASH Saison
10.5 lbs 2 row pale malt
6.8 AAU Saaz (60 mins)
WLP 566

I bought enough to do two 5 gallon batches, so bought 3787 Trappist yeast. I am going to do the same recipe but with the trappist yeast just to see the difference in the yeast strains. Anyone brew this recipe or something similar? Should I be putting a blow off hose in for the trappist yeast? I have seen that it is a rough fermentation.

I've never brewed a Belgian style ale before, but if you are anticipating a very active fermentation, then a blowoff hose would be a good idea to rig up from the get go. I've made that mistake with an American IPA and came home from work to a foamy mess.

After fermentation is mostly done you could switch it back out for an airlock.

It's a great idea to do one with Trappist and one with the saison yeast. I'd be curious how an abbey ale yeast would do with this as well.

If you are aerating your wort and making a starter I would definitely use a blow off.

I've read that others doing smash suggested using something different that just a base 2 row, like going with Maris Otter or another base malt that has a little more to offer.

I bet you learn a lot from a batch like that. Looks like a great opportunity to check out yeasts.

I went with the 2 row because thats what the recipe called for and I have 25 kilos of 2 row so that worked out lol. I have a smash cream ale recipe with the same 2 row and hops with cream ale yeast, so I might add that to my list to brew next after these 2. I saw that you ferment at 68 deg F but I have also seen that recommended conditioning temp is 40 deg. I do not have a fermentation chamber so I might not do this till it gets cold out.

Latest posts

Back