Smaller Hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One-Cheeked

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I didn't have any luck either on the forum or on google so far, but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a "mini" glass-tube hydrometer for sale anywhere. I'd like to find one that's smaller than the typical homebrew-kit glass tube model that is so common, so that I can use it with a smaller sample size. I'm trying a couple small batches (1 gal. or so) of cider and beer and whatnot, and it'd be great not to have to pull out and discard several ounces every time i want a reading. A loss in precision due to the smaller size wouldn't be the end of the world, really.

Any leads before I embark on the S.S. Do-it-yerself?

Thanks! :mug:

Thirdly, get a refractometer. $30 and it uses three drops of your wort/beer.

Wow, thanks for the unanimous replies :D

I have seen a bit of info that claims refractometers can be a bit tricky for hombrewers to use, since you have to correct for the fact that your solution is more than just alcohol+water or sugar+water, but a whole tasty blend of proteins and sugars and everything else. Do you all have experience with using refractometers and just plugging in the correction factors? I'm guessing if it's only +/- a point or two, then the accuracy is no worse than squinting at the little black lines on a glass tube. Maybe i'll take another search around the site to see what people have to say...

Thanks again :)

Meh, go to Ebay, dime a dozen there, dime a dozen.

Wow you got a link for that? I can only find the $30 (incl shipping) ones.
I odered mine from AHS as soon as the emails came out and had it here Wed.

-OCD

Does anyone have a link to the refractbeer.xls BobbyM displays in the above video. That's just too cool.

Edit: I know, I know, the question was posted before I thought about it. But thanks for the tip KB!

If anyone else wants it, here's the link where I found it here. Click the link where it says "You can download a copy of the beer excel spreadsheet (updated) by clicking here."

Awesomesauce

Thanks for the video Revvy!

Looks like i'm off a-huntin' for a refractometer! (bro-in-law enjoys homebrew, so maybe i can guilt him into buying me one... :p)

Latest posts

Back