Small batches on the stove. Problem with weight on burners. Looking for options.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
My wife has started brewing, yea! Problem is, she does not want anything to do with the system I use out in the garage, she likes to brew small, 3 gallon, brew in a bag, batches on the stove. I, of course, want to encourage her more, but I feel like we are putting too much stress on the stovetop burners. We have already broken the burner support on one element and had to replace. About the max we wold have on the stove is 4.5 gallons at the start of a brew session.

Looking for another option to be able to continue to let here brew in the kitchen.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Lakedawgs

I brew in an apartment on an electric stove using an 8 gallon pot.

What I did was to cut 1-1/2" lengths of 1" copper pipe and place them under the Y of the cross pieces under the burners to support the center.

Works like a charm and makes the burners very efficient because all of the rungs of the burner are contacting the pot.

In addition to the stainless steel pot it helps greatly with my aluminum decoction pots and even normal cooking pots whose bottoms pop down.

Stainless pipe might be better than copper as the copper seems to blacken and "flake" but it doesn't seem to hurt the stove.

You'll have to measure the distance from the bottom of the Y to the stove.

As long as you don't drag the pots across the burner (lift them up!) you won't have any problems.

Back