Small batches on Anvil Foundry 6.5?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How does the Anvil Foundry 6.5 do with small all grain batches? I do 1 gallon batches. That’s post fermentation so I start boil with just over two gallons and start cooling once I get to about 1.25 gallons. I currently have a stovetop setup but love the idea of being able to program in the mash step and streamline my brewing processes.

I did read part of the main Anvil Foundry thread in this forum. Challenges I can foresee include the dead space under the mash insert and the shortness of the immersion chiller coil. Anybody out there doing small batches with the Anvil Foundry?

Your real issue is the dead space under the basket. I measured 3.29 liters (0.87 gal) under the bottom level of the basket. It would be a challenge making anything smaller than 8 liters (2.1 gal) and your efficiency would suffer greatly based upon my past experience. I tested trying to make a 6 liter batch (1.6 gal) and had horrible efficiency, even after going over volume by about a liter. My observations is that the grain bed is too low which can easily lead to channeling when recirculating.

Dang. What about with the recirculation kit? Never mind. I reread your response and it sounds like you’re using it.

Last edited:
If I were to repeat a small batch, what I would do is to get a mesh to cover the bottom of the kettle, then use my BIAB bag and clip it so that it is hanging with the bottom right at the mesh or grate, skipping the basket all together.

I brew 1 gallon batches on the Anvil Foundry 6.5 gallon system. Remove the mash tun and use a BIAB bag. I put a stainless trivet in the bottom. I have had good results. Using BIAB you get enough volume to cover the sensor and just tilt the kettle when you pump out the wort.

I agree with using BIAB method and removing the pipe for 1 gal batches. It comes to boil quickly on 120v.

Back