Small Batch Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runnerx13

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new here so I hope I’m posting on the right place. Anyway, I have 1.5 lbs of malt left over from another recipe (chocolate malt, blachseawn biscuit malt and weyermann Caramunich) and a Saflager W34/70 yeast. I was wondering what I could do with this and what type of hops I should buy. I’m guessing there’s enough for a gallon or two. I would like to do a pumpkin ale but not sure if this mix is right. Thanks all.

Hello, @Runnerx13, and welcome to the forums! :mug:

The two intractable hurdles wrt using your left-over grains are: one, none of them have the enzymes to create fermentable sugars from grain starches - ie, the Lintner power of all three grains is pretty much zero; and two, there's barely any convertible starches in that mix - there might be a touch of fermentables in the biscuit and Caramunich but that would be quite marginal at best.

Now, if you can lay your hands on some base malt you could cobble something together and have it become "beer", but as it stands I'd recommend saving those specialty grains for another day...

Cheers!

As day_trippr said, there are no fermentable sugars available from those grain but they would provide flavor and color to a beer is you were to add some malt extract whether it was LME or DME to provide the fermentable sugars. Otherwise, adding a base malt and doing a mash would provide the same sugars.

Yeah, get yourself some lme/dme or some good ole 2 row base malt and you'll be all set.
For a pumpkin ale you're just going after ibu's. Look up the ibu on your favorite pumpkin beer and match that number with whatever hop you want. Use a brewing calculator to figure how how much hops to use to get the ibu you're going for. There are a wide variety of pumpkin ale styles so be sure to know what youre aiming for.

Latest posts

Back