Small Batch Krausen or Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronSchalk

Reaction score
I have one gallon small batch stout that has been in primary for two weeks. I'm not moving to secondary as the recipes I'm following have it in primary for two weeks then bottle condition for two more. About 6 hours after pitching the yeast I had a very active fermentation and a semi-full head of krausen. Mind you, this is a one gallon batch, so it approached blow off, but never reached it.

Fast forward to today when I planned to bottle. I still have a fairly thick layer of either krausen or yeast as can be seen here:

krausen.JPG

My question is this: Is this actually krausen or is this yeast still doing its thing? I know that with my first batch (a pale ale) this fell before I bottled. Looking at it closely, it does't appear to the the typical foam of krausen and almost seems grainy. This leads me to believe it's still yeast.

I currently have it in my garage for a cold crash (it should bottom out around 35F) and little has fallen at this point.

So yeah, is this typical of stouts? Should I wait it out and see if it falls, or give it more time inside?

You're expertise and opinions are appreciated!

|AAron

I currently have an alt that has a very persistent krausen too. I've been waiting til it falls, but it's been at the FG for a couple weeks so I imagine at some point I'll just stop waiting. I don't remember any stouts being like that, but I've only made maybe 3 or 4.

Edit: I was referring to 5 gal batches, but it doesn't seem to me that being a small batch would matter as far as the krausen is concerned.

I'm wondering too if this might be swollen piece of coconut, as that was part of the recipe. Either way, it's been crashing for two days and nothing appears to have fallen. I think I'm going to pull it off for bottling and see what it tastes like.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's experienced this!

Latest posts

Back