Small Batch Fermenting/Kegging/Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gytaryst

Reaction score
I'm gearing down to small batch brewing. I haven't nailed down exactly what size batches until I figure out what equipment I want to buy. I kind of know what I want to do - I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I know I'm going to be getting a Williamswarn Counter Pressure Bottle filler. Other than that I'm still trying to figure out what else to get. I'm kind of leaning toward using 2.5 gallon corny kegs for primary fermenters, (cutting the dip tubes off an inch or so above the bottom), and then pushing the beer into 1.75 gallon corny kegs for secondary and carbonating and bottling from there.

I would like the system to be closed (as much as possible) from primary to bottling. There are still a couple beers I brew that I will continue to bottle condition, but for the vast majority I'd rather stay with forced carbonation. I might buy a couple of those 64 oz stainless growler mini kegs that have the CO2 cartridge taps, but again I want the vast majority to be force carbonated and bottled.

If anyone is doing anything like this I would appreciate any tips or tricks or advice you can offer.

Thanks

Something I’ve been experimenting with is a little ball gas QR to ball fluid QR jumper line. With that, I can use a soda bottle with a carbonation cap to take samples from a fermenter-keg, and even push late additions like lactose or fruit juices or hop tea, all without O2 exposure.

Something I’ve been experimenting with is a little ball gas QR to ball fluid QR jumper line. With that, I can use a soda bottle with a carbonation cap to take samples from a fermenter-keg, and even push late additions like lactose or fruit juices or hop tea, all without O2 exposure.
Are you doing small batches? If so what are you using for a primary fermenter?

Are you doing small batches? If so what are you using for a primary fermenter?

I have a 7 gallon keg for doing 5 gallon batches, and I’ve done 3 gallon batches (my smallest keg size) in 5 gallon kegs, so I think your idea of doing 1.75 gallon batches in a 2.5 gallon keg makes perfect sense. One thing you might consider instead of the cut dip tube is a floating dip tube for the fermenting keg, so after you cold crash, you’re transferring clear beer off the top.

I recently brewed a 3 gallon batch, split it between two 2.5 gallon kegs with different yeasts for primary, and I’m now serving it from those same kegs using floating (top draw) systems. One is even a lovely Pilsner and it’s as clean as one would require that style to be.

I can’t make a long term conclusion yet, but so far I’m pretty stoked at how easy it was. No O2 exposure at all after pitching yeast.

I'm gearing down to small batch brewing. I haven't nailed down exactly what size batches until I figure out what equipment I want to buy. I kind of know what I want to do - I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I know I'm going to be getting a Williamswarn Counter Pressure Bottle filler. Other than that I'm still trying to figure out what else to get. I'm kind of leaning toward using 2.5 gallon corny kegs for primary fermenters, (cutting the dip tubes off an inch or so above the bottom), and then pushing the beer into 1.75 gallon corny kegs for secondary and carbonating and bottling from there.

I would like the system to be closed (as much as possible) from primary to bottling. There are still a couple beers I brew that I will continue to bottle condition, but for the vast majority I'd rather stay with forced carbonation. I might buy a couple of those 64 oz stainless growler mini kegs that have the CO2 cartridge taps, but again I want the vast majority to be force carbonated and bottled.

If anyone is doing anything like this I would appreciate any tips or tricks or advice you can offer.

Thanks
I use 14L speidel fermenter with a thermowell for temp control, on the top I have a gas out valve to purge my keg that I transfer into for spunding. For the liquid out I have another valve attached that will go directly into the 2.5g keg. For xfr I disconnect the top and hook up the co2 to pressurize to around 1-2 psi and do a completely enclosed xfr. I can post pictures later today if you're interested.

I recently brewed a 3 gallon batch, split it between two 2.5 gallon kegs with different yeasts for primary, and I’m now serving it from those same kegs using floating (top draw) systems. One is even a lovely Pilsner and it’s as clean as one would require that style to be.

I can’t make a long term conclusion yet, but so far I’m pretty stoked at how easy it was. No O2 exposure at all after pitching yeast.
I haven't decided on batch size yet. First I need to figure out what equipment I'm going to use and that will dictate batch size. As long as I end up with around a 12 pack, (give or take), I'll be happy. That seems like a nice manageable amount. Bottling was tedious when I did 6 gallon batches, but 12 is nothing. I also want to bottle force carbonated beer using a counter pressure filler. I've heard people talk about how slow of a process it is. Again, for 50+ bottles I'm sure it would suck. But for 12 to 15 bottles I think I can handle it.
I use 14L speidel fermenter with a thermowell for temp control, on the top I have a gas out valve to purge my keg that I transfer into for spunding. For the liquid out I have another valve attached that will go directly into the 2.5g keg. For xfr I disconnect the top and hook up the co2 to pressurize to around 1-2 psi and do a completely enclosed xfr. I can post pictures later today if you're interested.
When I started brewing I used the plastic buckets for primary. Eventually I went to a plastic FerMonster carboy. I just got the hot side of my system the way I wanted it and I was in the process of looking into some kind of stainless primary; conical or brew bucket. Instead I decided to get out of it and sold off everything.

Now I'm getting back into it on a much smaller scale and have to start from square one and buy all new equipment. I'm hoping to avoid the trial and error of buying something because it's inexpensive, only to have to replace it a few months later. I've read all the debates and comments and threads I could find on the pros and cons of using plastic equipment, and I've decided that since I have to buy everything anyway I'd rather not even consider anything plastic.

Right now I'm trying to decide between using 2.5 gallon corny kegs for primary, or if I can convert these 2.5 gallon glass pickle barrels into a closed primary.

Sp4GQ4O.jpg

The glass jar is $15 vs $75 for the corny keg. Since I'm doing small batches I plan to have as many as 4 (or more) beers fermenting at one time, so I'm leaning toward the glass jars.

From there I want to push them into 1.75 gallon corny kegs to condition and force carb. And rather than set up any kind of kegerator or draft beer dispenser I would prefer to bottle from the kegs. I like having beer in bottles, I just don't like bottle conditioning them. I never got consistent carbonation and the sediment was a pain. I didn't mind the sediment, but it was a pain trying to share beers with friends or family who are not into craft beer. The sediment was a turn off.

Back