small batch fermenter..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
Hi, I want to start to brew small batches for the fun of it. I'm wondering if I can ferment in in one of those 2.5 gallon, square-ish water jugs that you get at the store. Thinking of doing my 1-gallon batches in those vs buying glass jugs.

I am guessing that i can cram a stopper and air-lock in one of those and call it good.

what do you think? Sufficent?

:mug:

I would think it is sufficient. I sure someone will bring up the suitability of the plastic and oxygen permeability; but I'm not sure I'd worry too much about that.

Hi, I want to start to brew small batches for the fun of it. I'm wondering if I can ferment in one of those 2.5 gallon, square-ish water jugs that you get at the store. Thinking of doing my 1-gallon batches in those vs buying glass jugs.

I am guessing that i can cram a stopper and air-lock in one of those and call it good.

what do you think? Sufficent?

:mug:

As long as it has an air-tight seal on it it will be good. The oxygen permiable is something to worry about IMHO,in my honest opinion, but as long as its food-grade plastic you should be good

These containers are more air permeable than food grade buckets. Should be okay for short fermentations. May be difficult to clean well enough for a second use.
Empty frosting buckets from your grocery bakery are ideal. Mine were $0.50 apiece.

These containers are more air permeable than food grade buckets. Should be okay for short fermentations. May be difficult to clean well enough for a second use.
Empty frosting buckets from your grocery bakery are ideal. Mine were $0.50 apiece.

great idea! I'll check around. :)

Back