Small batch fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aarong2008

Reaction score
I was curious if fermenting a 1 gallon batch, or even a 3 gallon batch, in a 5 gallon carboy or 6.5 gallon bucket will cause issues due to the extra oxygen and headspace. Thanks.

That kinda depends on you. Active fermentation will produce a ton of CO2 and drive the O2 out. As long as it has a decent seal and you don't open it, you'll be fine for a normal brewing timeline.

If these are test batches you want to age though, you would want to do that in a more appropriately sized vessel.

5gal bucket's fine for 3gal brews. It's a little large on the headspace for 1 gal, I recommend picking up a cheap 2gal bucket and using that for small batches.

Okay, I will stay away from using the larger carboys/buckets for 1 gallon test batches. Thanks billl and sumbrewindude

What bill said....if it seals well and you don't open it and muck around with it 'til bottling day, should be fine.....you could pick up a few 1 gal jugs, either new or buy 'em with cider or wine or something in them... one gallon jugs are handier than I ever imagined :)

Back