Small Batch Extract IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 days at 56
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 56 Dry Hop
Additional Fermentation
Bottle for 3 weeks
Tasting Notes
Hop Heavy and Citrus Mayhem!
I brewed this up last minute before the Superbowl just because I could. It came out awesome! It was a bit harsh at first, but after a few weeks aging its really smoothed out. A buddy of mine said that it was the best IPA he's ever tasted. His dad said that if he was going out to a restaurant and they had this beer, he would buy it.

Ok, ok, ok...

MALTS:

3 lb Amber DME

HOPS:

0.25 oz CTZ 60 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz CTZ 10 min
1 oz Cascade 2 min
1 oz CTZ dry hop 10 days
1 oz Citra dry hop 10 days
1 oz Centennial dry hop 10 days

YEAST:

Wyeast American Ale-1056 in a small starter (harvested from a pale ale I made a little while back)

FERMENTATION:

56 degrees F the whole way, even to carb the bottles (2 oz of corn sugar to carb)

This allowed it to drop crystal clear while carbing nicely

Extract IPA.jpg

Extract IPA II.jpg

I only boiled off a little more than a quarter gallon because my stove isn't very powerful. It started with just barely over 3 gallons in the pot. Hope this helps.

Hi there, if you were to change the final yield to 5Gal would you change the recipe in any way? (other than double everything)

I only boiled off a little more than a quarter gallon because my stove isn't very powerful. It started with just barely over 3 gallons in the pot. Hope this helps.
What sort of IBU did your shoot for in this recipe? Sounds really interesting tho looks like this was 4 odd years ago :)

Back