Slow primary ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigRedChef

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch, and it seems to be slow to start bubbling.
It's a porter made with English ale yeast, and the hydrometer read 1.05

It's been 24 hrs and I'm just getting an occasional bubbling. I picked up the fermenter bucket (it's a 5 gal batch) and swirled it, while keeping lid and seal intact. It will bubble a little bit, then stop.

Should I continue to swirl it to keep the yeast from settling? Or is this bad for the beer?

Just leave it alone, it will be fine. Swirling the beer isn't hurting it, but it is unnecessary. A 24 hour lag time is not at all unusual.

If you don't like the long lag time, pitch more yeast in the future.

What temperature are you fermenting at? Each yeast strain has its own ideal temperature range for fermentation...too cold and fermentation will be slow...too hot and it will ferment like crazy but way too fast.

If you didn't make a starter, or the ambient temp is on the cool side, it will take some time to kick off. It should be fine.

Lol... My girlfriend (the one who bought me the brewing kit to begin with) has been teasing me over how I've been babying the beer. She thinks it's hi-larious that I like to keep a watchful eye on the fermenter and the bubbling vapor lock.

Bubbles in airlock are not credible indicator of fermentation.
You're (probably) fine, but if you really want to know where it is take gravity reading.. my advice is to let it alone, brew another batch, design next recipe, do whatever but leave it for now..

Back