Slow pour issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewzorback

Reaction score
I just kegged my first brew Saturday which is the breakfast stout clone.... I've never dealt with kegging or anything else for that mater until now. It seems the beer is pouring super slow. I have it stores in a freezer with the temp controller shutting it off at 35 and back on at 40. All the lines are cold. I "burst carbed" the beer at 30lbs for 24 hours after kegging it and turned it down to 12lbs after the 24 hours until now when I poured me a beer. The beer has good head (almost border line to much head) and it dissipates as should.... What could be causing such a slow pour? It takes me probably 10-15 seconds just to pour a glass. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406592524.219292.jpg

I was wondering the same with line length. But at 12psi that's getting up there for a slow pour. I have my IPA at 39 degrees with only 5' lines and reg at 4 psi

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That head is going to reduce as your burst settles down to service pressure. At least that's what I've noticed in mine. You may be noticing a little carbonic bite now also - anyhoo - vent off your keg and then raise the service pressure a little and see how it goes. Everyone's setup is a little different - 12psi works for me with 10' lines, maybe a little slow, but I'm more worried with a nice pour than a fast one.

Next time at a bar watch how they pour - fast and intentional overflow to fix too much head.

The stout faucet would probably be your issue. Those are meant to aerate a stout as it comes out of the tap making it extra frothy.

I run 10' of lines with 12 psi and I have super fast flow.

I'm guessing you don't want to switch faucets, but that would be what I would do.

Tho you could try shortening your lines a little first and see if that helps. Like halve the distance.

Not sure if that would even be worth it tho

Sent from myPhone

Your beer must be that heavy and thick ;) you could try bringing temp up 5 degrees. Is your co2 inside or outside?

The co2 is inside with the beer... It was reading almost 900 lbs of pressure Inside tank when I first put it in and now it's reading about 500 after setting in the keezer. 40-35 is also the ambient temp so I'm sure the beer may be a little cooler maybe?

Keeping co2 inside will drop your pressure readings, no worries. Your temp should be close to ambient if it's been in there a while, if not then it may be on the warmer side. Like other guys stated the shorter lines or faucet are also things to consider

I really don't mind it pouring slow as long as it comes out and I get to drink it! Lol.... I just assumed it was an issue from what I read. It wouldn't hurt my feelings of it was a little faster but if it's really not a problem I can deal with it I reckon. This is all still a learning process for me.

I removed the disc from the stout faucet and it's a much much faster pour..... It also may not be as carbonated at the faucet gave the illusion to be? I thought maybe it tasted a little low on carbonation still possibly but wasn't sure....

I removed the disc from the stout faucet and it's a much much faster pour..... It also may not be as carbonated at the faucet gave the illusion to be? I thought maybe it tasted a little low on carbonation still possibly but wasn't sure....

That was definitely your problem. Stout faucets are meant to be run with a N2/CO2 mix at around 30 psi. You should have plenty of carbonation, though. If anything, 12 psi at an average 37 degrees is too high for a stout. The chart I use puts that at 2.6 volumes. I prefer my stouts around 2.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Back