Slow finish to fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrestler63

Reaction score
Anyone ever had a fermentation last 15 days and counting? I brewed a strong Blonde Ale 15 days ago and the thing is still popping a bubble every 20 seconds in the airlock. I brewed 10 gallons and separted into (2) 5g better bottles for fermenting.....Safale -04 was the yeast used. It was hydrated as normal. Og was 1.086. Used a blow off and had rapid fermentation at 12 hrs. Temp started at 68 and was steady at about 64 the rest of the time. After 10 days I was still getting CO2 discharge so I replaced the blow off with an airlock after waking up the yeast with a little swirling. My gravity is now at 1.020 and I am still getting a bubble through the airlock every 20 seconds and I see a few hungry yeast chunks swimming about and the krausen is still looking healthy and clean.....just ride it out or rack off to secondary? I hope this isnt going to promote any off flavors.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Cheers:mug:

actually the slow fermentation will help reduce some off flavors. you don't really need to worry for another 13ish days. typically you don't want to keep a brew on yeast for more than a month. just keep your eye on the gravity readings and wait for them to level out.

Back