Slow Fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hackbrew

Reaction score
I have a question regarding my primary fermentations. I’ve been home brewing since 1987 and more specifically all-grain since about 1996. I used to brew using city water and now I brew (since 2002) using well water. My well water goes through a water (salt based) softener which reduces my calcium and magnesium and I guess some iron, in exchange for sodium. I have noticed that since using this newer well water source that my fermentations happen slowly. The wort still ferments out to the correct final gravity, it’s just that it takes about 7 – 10 days, whereas before it took about 3 – 4 days. I’ve never have really done any PH testing and I know the real difference is obviously related to the change in water chemistry. I have experimented slightly with using a portion of the water for the mash straight from the well, therefore bypassing the water softener, but I have noticed any significant change. I figure that my water softener works on the principle of ion-exchange, which will take the 'hardening' ions and replace them with sodium, so the resulting water is maybe too high in sodium to brew with.

The beer taste good, it’s just that sometimes I like to brew in successive weekends in order to use the yeast from my prior batch, and most times now the primary from the previous batch is not done fermenting. Right now I have a batch (1.080 OG) from last Saturday's brew day in my primary with a big foamy (3.5 inches), meringue-like head, but not much activity in my airlock. I'd like to brew this weekend again but I hate to disturb it too.

I had my well water tested a couple of times since 2002, but I would love to know what I may be able to try to see a change in the fermentation time. Maybe next time I’ll buy a 5 gallon bottle of water for my next mash and see what happens. If I’m high on sodium and low on calcium and magnesium, what would I need to add to my water? Please respond with any thoughts and thanks in advance. Sorry for the book!

what temp are you fermenting at? If it is on the low side of 60 degrees that could be the cause.

70 F. I oxygenated the wort post boil when it was about 78 F for about 10 minutes. Is this too long and if so, why? Thx!

Gently stick a racking cane down into the slurry of fallen yeast at the bottom of your fermenter and siphon off what you need for your next batch.

To me, 7-10 days seems fine. But, if you are convinced this is too long, perhaps the yeast aren't getting enough nutrients. In particular, free amino nitrogen (FAN), calcium, and magnesium. For FAN, you can buy some diammonium phosphate (DAP) a.k.a yeast nutrient. For calcium and magnesium, you can add small quantities (on the order of a gram) of calcium chloride and epsom salt respectively.

It's probably a good idea to get your water tested by Ward Labs. They're pretty cheap and will provide you with packing material and containers. I'd suggest doing two tests - one with the water straight from the well and one after it has gone through the softener. Then you don't have to play these guessing games as to what to add to your water.

Back