Slow Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCKral

Reaction score
I just brewed a 1 gal. extract batch of Chinook from Northern Brewer (1.056 OG) and it's been more than 42 hours and there is no activity at all. I've brewed 2 all grain batches (didn't take and OG reading) and they were much more active. They started fermenting right after the yeast was pitched. Question 1. Do extract batches take longer to start the ferment process? 2. How long is too long for the process to start before you should call it quits?

I have made three batches of different beers. Not the Chinook. None have shown any activity until well in 72 hours. My batch sit in a 64 degree basement. What is your temp were the gallon is kept? Leave it sit. Let the yeast wake up and do it's thing.

I have made three batches of different beers. Not the Chinook. None have shown any activity until well in 72 hours. My batch sit in a 64 degree basement. What is your temp were the gallon is kept? Leave it sit. Let the yeast wake up and do it's thing.
Temp is mid-high 60's. I'll let it sit. Thanks

Today is day four on my cream Ale with US-05. Yesterday was a bubble every 15 to twenty seconds. Today, every three seconds. Wasn't much at all before yesterday.

Can take a while sometimes depending on yeast, temp, moon cycle, etc.

All the Best,
D. White

Fermentation update: 60 hours in. It woke up and it's doing it's thing. Foam is starting to form and the blow off is bubbling.

Back