Slow Ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdug

Reaction score
Today makes 2 weeks that my APA has been fermenting. It is still showing signs of airlock activity at a rate of about 1 bubble per minute. I know that airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation, but I have never had any activity at this point in the ferment. I mean if it is still bubbling then something is still going on right? I generally don't even take a gravity reading for about 2.5 weeks just before I cold crash to prepare for bottling. I have made this kit several time as it is our house beer. The only thing I can think of out of the ordinary is i left my yeast in the fridge until I started chilling but I bloomed in 70 degree water and pitched at 65 airlock activity started within 12-14 hrs ferment temp 60-64 degrees. anyone think there maybe a problem?

recipe:
6.6 lbs pale lme
6 oz wheat
6 oz crysal 40
.75 lbs rice syrup solids
.75 lbs dextrose

1 oz willimette @ 60
1 oz cascade @45
us 05 american ale yeast

I'd take a gravity reading. My batches with us05 have always been finished after 7 days. What's your temp right now? Maybe warm it up to 70-72 to see if the yeast pick up activity.

59-75F is the recommended range for that yeast. Since you are at the low end it is most likely taking longer to ferment. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you want to see how well you are doing take a gravity reading and compare it to where you normally end up.

+1 on the gravity reading. You don't know what it's doing until you do that. It could be finished and just offgassing CO2. No way to tell just from airlock activity.

Back