Slow fermatation question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnboy881

Reaction score
On 2/15/12 I brewed an Avery maharaja clone. The calculated OG/FG is 1.088 and 1.022 respectively (from ibrewmaster). The printed FG from Midwest Brewing Supplies is 1.012. My OG was 1.082 and after a week the gravity reading was 1.038. On monday it was 1.030. I plan on moving to secondary this weekend, but was curious as to the difference in calculated gravitates between sources.

Any help, and do you think we're save to move to 2dary?

the odds are the yeast stalled due to a low pitch of yeast ? For a 1.088 beer you need allot of yeast if you want it to finish out?

Check Mr Malty's Yeast Calculator.. if you didn't pitch close to the calculations.... I say it stalled.

You could try to make up a Starter with some Dry/liquid Yeast (Nottingham?) and pitch it at High Kruesen to try to restart it as well? I'd swirl it up, warm up the yeast and first try to restart the yeast before pitching more yeast (give that a day or so to restart)

Why do a secondary; ... Three weeks in Primary, then to bottles or Kegs..

On 2/15/12 I brewed an Avery maharaja clone. The calculated OG/FG is 1.088 and 1.022 respectively (from ibrewmaster). The printed FG from Midwest Brewing Supplies is 1.012. My OG was 1.082 and after a week the gravity reading was 1.038. On monday it was 1.030. I plan on moving to secondary this weekend, but was curious as to the difference in calculated gravitates between sources.

Any help, and do you think we're save to move to 2dary?

The last thing you want to do is move it off of the yeast at this point. If you feel that the fermentation has stalled, it usually works to warm it up 3-5 degrees and gently rouse the yeast.

If you believe the fermentation is still slowly proceeding, let it ride. Give the yeast time.

I won't even get into the discussion on secondary fermenters....

My issue with wanting to 2ndary ferment is the 3 oz of whole simcoe hops floating at the top of my primary. I have to dry hop with 4oz whole simcoe plus 2.5 oz centennial and 2 oz of Columbus.(both pellets) this is A LOT at the top of my Carboy already.

Are my reservations flawed? I have no problem with 2ndary fermenters and there is a huge amount of sediment/yeast/hops at the bottom of my primary.

The last thing you want to do is move it off of the yeast at this point. If you feel that the fermentation has stalled, it usually works to warm it up 3-5 degrees and gently rouse the yeast.

If you believe the fermentation is still slowly proceeding, let it ride. Give the yeast time.

I won't even get into the discussion on secondary fermenters....

This is the best advice you've been given so far....

Give the fermenter a gentle swirl, and warm it up a bit, and let it ride for another week or so.

Back