sloooow carbonation...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Rhoads

Reaction score
For some reason my last several batches have been taking an unreasonably long time (like a month) to carbonate. I bottle with 3/4 cups table sugar as I have for the last 20 years. At winters end I thought temperature may have been the problem since I store my beer in the cool basement, but now it is HOT, so that isnt it. Using the same yeast (White Labs CA Ale) on the last several batches. I recycle the yeast from primary or secondary to a new batch 3 or 4 times, but the first run batches are doing it too. Ideas? Thanks

A month may seem an unreasonably long time for you, but not for the yeasts...It's a natural, living, process we're talking about here.

The minimum rule of thumb is 3 weeks @ 70 degrees...but that is truly a rule of thumb, it is really dependent on style.

Here's some info and a nifty video...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

Revvy,
Great info, and liked the video. Understand that my carbonation problem (if I have one) does not involve head retention, head proteins, etc. My issue is more simple. At day 20 I still have little to no pffft when I open a beer. If I were priming differently, holding my beer at an odd temp., using some vastly different recipe or different yeast than I have used 100 times before I would not be confounded by this change in carbonation character. Just trying to learn a bit, and ease my anxiety over the prospect of an eternally flat batch.

Latest posts

Back