Slap Pack Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoooonSquad

Reaction score
I cooked up a DFH 60 clone last night and it was my first time using a slap pack (1056). I took my slap pack out of the fridge before I started on the wort. I thought I had broken the bubble inside when I set it out, but it turned out that I hadn't. When it came time to pitch the yeast I opened it and saw that the nutrient pack was still sealed, so I broke the pack, shook the whole thing, and only let it sit for a few minutes before pitching it. It had already been out of the fridge for three hours so it had to be at room temp by then.

No fermentation action as of this morning. Did I kill my yeast? Can I still save the batch? It smelled so damn good I'd hate to lose it.

UPDATE: Bubbling away after 20 hours. Thanks!

Did I kill my yeast? No

Can I still save the batch? Yes, by waiting.

It smelled so damn good I'd hate to lose it. I bet you see some activity in the next 24 hours.

I agree with Bend. Give it another day or so and see what happens. You can always get more yeast (presumably) and pitch again if no activity exists in a couple days.

I suspect you'll have something before too long. Another thing with those smack packs, I've always had long lag times when using them. I highly recommend making a starter anytime you use liquid yeast, smack pack or vial.

yeah, I did the same thing the first time I used a slap pack. Gotta really nail it. I actually didnt realize that the nutrients didn't break until I poured the contence of the pak in the wort. I had to fish out the nutrients and then just squeezed them into the wort. Activity still started in like 24 hours and the beer turned out great! It's pretty hard to screw up the beer in my experice.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. My first batch without a kit or dry yeast, so I'm a little panicky.

Thanks.

Back