Slants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am about to embark on the journey of culturing my own yeast with slants......I am sure there is a huge learning curve and it wont go smoothly at first.
I ran across this article that describes what I need to do but was curious if it is acurate or if there is anything else I need to know.
Also, what exactly is the benefit of culturing yeast as opposed to harvesting and washing my cakes like I have for years now?

Thanks for the help.

http://brewery.org/brewery/library/YstCult.html#Comments

The article sounds pretty good. I'd add a couple of quick things, when you're inoculating if you've got glass tubes, you can flame the mouth of the tube quick to sterilize it again just to increase your odds. If you've got a bunsen burner or ethanol lamp, great, otherwise just a lighter will work. You don't need long, a second or two, just enough to pass only the mouth and lip of the tube through the flame. The article also mentions once the slant starts to grow that the lids might raise up. Make sure that you don't clamp down any lid, as at worst it might blow, but more likely it will only create some pressure that your yeast won't like as much. As long as the lid can remain on the tube, you can leave it a bit loose while the yeast are growing to relieve that pressure, and then tighten it down for storage.

As far as the benefits, I was someone who stored yeast in frozen glycerol stocks for a while but gave up, so take my points with a grain of salt. Personally, if you're talking about storing commercial yeast, I don't see the point. Remember that each time you want to grow up something from your stocks, you'll have to make a starter to get it going. Since you're starting from such a small amount (similar to my glycerol stocks), you'll want to start with only a 10ml starter. Then since you don't want to increase the size more than 10-fold each time, you'll have to bump up to a 100ml starter, and finally to a 1L starter, unless you need more for your batch. Once I factored in the time to get the yeast back up and going, and the cost of the DME to grow those successive starters, just buying a new package and going into a 1L starter worked out about even. Admittedly, canning starter wort in different sizes would cut down on the hand-on time, but you'd probably still need to start your yeast a week or two before brewday, depending on how you handle your starters. Not trying to dissuade you, just saying that when it came to my constraints (having to keep a box of frozen yeast in the freezer, the extended time I had to start them up before brewday, the starters I was going through, etc), I decided that the $5 of buying a new yeast was worth it for my time and dme.

Now where I could see the benefit to doing this would be for yeast that are hard to come across. If there was a particular seasonal commercial offering that you were worried wouldn't come back that you thought you'd use a lot (and you were unwilling to switch to a slightly different strain), that might be something to save. Harvesting yeast from a commercial beer (if they're not just using White Labs/Wyeast anyways) would be another reason, especially if you wanted to get complicated and start separating out some yeast/bacteria from sour beers. Or if you had collected a bunch of wild yeast from your area and wanted to store them while you tested them, I could see doing it.

To me this is more or less a hobby within the hobby and less about saving money.
Buying and maintaining equipment, creating and maintaining your library, making starter wort, thawing slants, making plates, inoculating plates, waiting for growth, picking colonies, stepping a starter from 25ml-1,500ml, counting cells to verify your results and cold crashing before use is a lot of work.
Remind me again why I do that 🙄

No worries, just thought I'd give you the heads up. That's the same reason I started freezing them down, then I'm sure I just moved on to obsess about something else!

Back