Slam it down-or let it sit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
I bottled an ESB 2.5 weeks ago, and after about 4 days in the bottle, I noticed particulate in the beer-and the dreaded ring around the neck. I figured the batch was totally shot. After 2 weeks in the bottle, I decided to give it a try, just to see...It had a little funky smell, and tasted a little off at first taste. But it went down fine, and tasted pretty close to what I remember it tasting like at bottling-with no nasty aftertaste at all. So the infection seems pretty minor (as compared to some real doozies I've had in the past...not even the slugs in the garden wanted any of my infected Alt).

I moved the beer to the fridge, thinking that the cold could help deter any progression of the infection. My question is, should I drink this ASAP so that the infection won't get worse-or should I let it sit in the fridge for a bit and revisit it?

To comment on this, the ring around the neck is oftentimes completely normal. I always see this with Hefe strains when I bottle. They re-Krausen in the bottle. Unless you are gushing then I wouldn't worry.

I'll bet on bottle Krauzens, before I'd call infection, I'd give it at least another week, preferably two, if it is BK's then they will fall like krausens in fermenters...and also you'll see if the "off" taste is just greeness.

Thanks guys...I hope you're right. After mowing the lawn, I downed 2 with a quickness-so I suppose it's not too bad.

Back