Skip dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny308

Reaction score
So this is likely a stupid question but what if a person were to skip the dry hop on a recipe? How much would it affect taste and aroma? The recipe calls for 1 oz of galaxy to dry hop. The reason I am asking is I only ever do a primary. Can I dry hop in the primary? If so what process? I use glass carboys. Also i believe the recipe calls for loose hop leaves and I only have access to pellets. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you skip he dry hop, the effect will be on the nose more than the taste. Yes, you can dry hop in the primary. One way to do it is to use a hop bag with a piece of string or floss tied to it and that sticks out of the fermenter (tied to the bung) so you can pull the bag back out. Just make sure everything is sanitized.

If you skip out on the dry hop, you will lose a lot of aroma. I only do primary as well, and yes, you can dry hop in primary. It doesn't matter if you have loose leaf hops or pellets, just toss 'em in. Each homebrewer has a different dry hop methodology. For me, I usually wait until 3-5 days before kegging to dry hop. Others do it at high krausen. Others wait a week and toss them in. Others dry hop over the course of a few days. Others will put a bag of hops in the keg. You'll get a lot of great advice about dry hopping from members here. My best advice is to try it and see what works for you. Good luck!

If you skip the dry hop, you could lose quite a bit of aroma. It's dependent on the hop schedule and size of the dry hop addition. 1oz isn't a huge dry hop for a 5 gallon batch, but it would be noticed if you've had the same recipe with the dry hop.

You can drop pellets straight into your carboy if you want. If you have the ability to cold crash I would add them loose, but if not you could bag them. Just be aware that the bag will expand as the hops soak, and it might be difficult to remove the bag without cutting it. if you bag the hops, make sure you tie it loose so you're not restricting surface area of hop material floating around.

Ok. Thanks for the advice everyone. As of right now I don't have anything other than a normal unmodified fridge to cold crash in and I have heard that a fridge doesn't regulate temperature enough to properly cold crash. So I may try the bag method.

Back