Sixth Barrel Torpedo Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhazel

Reaction score
I have the option to get a hold of a sixth barrel keg (the person also called it a torpedo keg?). It looks kinda like the traditional 5 gal soda keg, and is supposed to hold 5.16 gallons. (See link)

http://www.micromatic.com/images/articles/11/Kegs-new.jpg

Will it be easy to fill for homebrew applications? Or should i try to get the traditional soda keg?

I would stick with the soda kegs, you can make a sanke keg work if you buy a part for it. I have heard of people removing the lock ring filling the keg and replacing it but it has to be a PITA.

They are easy enough. I use them all the time and it only requires a small flat head screw driver and a pair of pliers. Cleaning is as easy as an Oxy or PBW soak.

I have seen sankeys with corny connections on- if you have some welding skills, you could add in/out posts and even convert the center to a lid. That said, you can keep an eye out and get cornies fairly cheap (adventures in home brewing had them for 17, now 23).

I have the option to get a hold of a sixth barrel keg (the person also called it a torpedo keg?). It looks kinda like the traditional 5 gal soda keg, and is supposed to hold 5.16 gallons. (See link)

http://www.micromatic.com/images/articles/11/Kegs-new.jpg

Will it be easy to fill for homebrew applications? Or should i try to get the traditional soda keg?

If you don't want it send it to me:D, Ive been searching for a 1/6th barrel for awhile now.

I have a Victory Brewery one that's been sitting in my apartment forever now... The local brew store will gladly take it back though, so I can't ethically write it off...

I have 8 of 'em use 'em for all my kegging. They're certainly not difficult to use at all but I would think you would want to be consistent, no?

Consistency is better as they all have different sized/styled dip tubes on the larger level, so I assume the smaller level would be the same. I lucked into mine and have 6 of the same exact sixtels (1/6bbl).

I love mine, and you do want consistancy. The larger Sankes are all different tap assembly connections and dip tub lengths. I can't say, but could only assume, the smaller sixtels (1/6bbl) are the same way. I have 6 all the same exact type and style and am very happy. My large 1/2bbl come in very handy for my house ale or for before I split a batch to trade keg for keg. I even use my Sanke to ferment in.
6533-DSCN1663.JPG

This is the spunding valve that controls the keg back-pressure.
6533-DSCN1664.JPG

I meant consistency between sankey's and corny's. Mostly so you don't have to switch between couplers and what not.

As far as the diptubes, most of mine are the same but a few are slightly shorter (Microstar). I don't see it as an issue though, just remember which diptube goes where.

Wortmonger, I like the penny in the coupler. I do the exact same thing with my coupler that is dedicated to force carbing.

Yep, 1975 penny for luck. I see what you are sayin' now bout the consistency between corny and sanke. I went sanke and never looked back. I'm still finding uses for my cornys though.

They are simple. There is a key-way that fits in one direction and turns. Then, the snap ring is placed back in with pliers.

Exactly. Just work the snap ring around until the whole thing is seated in the groove. Then I use channel locks to make sure it is well seated all the way around.

Can we get pics? It isn't true till I see it with my own eyes.
Edit: Cance, found this little gem...

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly! The only things I see with the video that I would do differently... don't stab at the ball, and then keep using the screwdriver after the ring has been started out of its placement. Stabbing the ball can also stab he rubber, which can cause a slit for stuff to grow in or a pressure leak later. Once he ring has been started coming out, simply lay the screwdriver on is side under the ring and turn your wrist. The ring comes right out in one motion. I only use pliers putting the ring back in its groove. Very simple procedure to get in and out that little ring.

Exactly! The only things I see with the video that I would do differently... don't stab at the ball, and then keep using the screwdriver after the ring has been started out of its placement. Stabbing the ball can also stab he rubber, which can cause a slit for stuff to grow in or a pressure leak later. Once he ring has been started coming out, simply lay the screwdriver on is side under the ring and turn your wrist. The ring comes right out in one motion. I only use pliers putting the ring back in its groove. Very simple procedure to get in and out that little ring.

I too ferment in 15.5 gallon kegs. They work great for 5 and 10 gallon batches. The rings are super easy to remove and easy to install once you have done it 1-2 times. I like using them for fermenting but I do like cornies for serving. I find the corny kegs are more versatile although more problem prone.

You can use a snap ring in place of the spiral ring (McMaster #91580A246). Much easier to remove and replace. You can CO2 counter pressure fill just like a corny too.

Latest posts

Back