Siphoning with mouth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don510

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch - a batch of Dunkelweizen. I decided to do the 1-2-3 method people talk about on here instead of the recipe instructions of 10 days in primary, then bottle.

As of the last reading I took when transferring to secondary, the beer tasted great, albeit flat. I just tasted the last of the bottling bucket that would not fill another bottle and it is extremely bitter and not in a pleasantly hoppy way.

For both the transfer to secondary and transfer to bottling bucket, I used my mouth to start the siphon. The owner of my LHBS claims this is how he's done it for years and wouldn't ever bother buying an autosiphon even though he owns the store and could have it at cost. Could this have caused the off taste? Does the priming sugar cause an off taste like this? (I remember it didn't smell sweet like table sugar when I boiled it).

I'm going to have to spring for an autosiphon before I move my next batch around, just to make sure that I don't have to worry about this again.

Auto siphons are a gift from god. Use one once and fyou will never want to go back. Besides being WAY more sanitary that your dirty, filthy mouth they are super easy and convenient.

I doubt using your mouth gave it an off flavor, however. I would assume it is just the beer in its early stages and will taste great when it is carbed and cooled.

If you don't want to spring for an autosiphon (personally I think they're unnecessary) there are several tricks you can use to ensure a sanitary siphon.

Option 1. Fill your siphon hose/racking cane with water. Keep your finger over the end of the hose to keep the water in. Plunk the racking cane into your bucket, lower the end of the hose into a pitcher or something to catch the water that come out, then put the hose into your secondary once the siphon runs clear.

Option 2. Cut a 3" piece off of an old racking cane and sanitize it along with your hose and cane. Put the small piece of racking cane into the other end of the hose and suck-start your siphon into a pitcher. Quickly pull out the small piece that you had your mouth on and run your hose into your secondary

Option 3. Get a spigot and an invert tube backnut from Williams Brewing for your primary and never siphon again.

Starting a siphon with your mouth is fine.

Just dont do it right after eating something and try to only put the dry part of you lips on the end. If you are really worried, use some scope prior to bottling.

This method I've used for years:
Hold siphon hose(w/racking cane attached) by the ends and let the loop droop over a sink. Use turkey baster or beer thief to get enough beer out of the primary to fill the siphon hose. Once hose is full hold thumb over end of tube and drop racking cane in primary, then drop hose into secondary. Siphon has started with no risk of bacteria infection as long as tube and hands are stirelized.

Just dont do it right after eating something and try to only put the dry part of you lips on the end. If you are really worried, use some scope prior to bottling.

No. Just... no.

There is a rediculous amount of bacteria in your mouth. Some of that is going to end up in your beer. You might get lucky some of the time, but the first time you lose a 5 gallon batch to your own laziness, you'll siphon properly.

An auto siphon is about $10. A ruined batch is $30+.

Those who think siphoning with your mouth is fine, do this:

Line up the family and have them all spit into the cooled wort before pitching. Age it a few months. You'll have yourself a lambic.

Seriously, an auto-siphon is 10 bucks. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?

I just cant get my auto-siphon to work, I believe it is to small or something, I have watched a few videos and I believe I'm doing exactly what they are... I just got bored after trying like 5 different times so I just put liquid in the line and start the siphon that way

do what bernie said. fill your tube with water, let the water go down the drain capturee the beer. i have aut o syphon and still use this method most of the time. less hassel dependable results.

if you MUST... then pull your clean shirt up over your mouth and suck through it to start the siphon. I wouldn't touch your bacteria lips to it. Imagine that your lips are a dirty hooker and your tubing is your Johnson and the beer is your blood... wrap it up or risk infection.

Seriously, an Autosiphon is awesum! Super easy to use and much safer for your beer than your spit. How can someone who has one not want to use it? You just stick it in there and pump it once or twice! The only thing easier is a spigot.

I've mouth started it a few times, but wouldn't recommend it. I've been filling it up with water, and just bought an autosiphon (finally!).

I use a turkey baster to siphon, just push the nose of the baster into to the end of the hose(with the ball already squeezed),then release the ball and the flow should start going through the tube and at that time quickly remove the baster from the tube and put the tube where you want the brew to flow to.

If you start a siphon with your mouth, you may as well ignore all other sanitizing procedures because your mouth contains more bacteria than anything else your beer will be exposed to. Invest $7 on a couple of plastic spigots and put one in the side of your primary fermentor and one in your bottling bucket. You'll never need to siphon again.

Tom

If you start a siphon with your mouth, you may as well ignore all other sanitizing procedures because your mouth contains more bacteria than anything else your beer will be exposed to. Invest $7 on a couple of plastic spigots and put one in the side of your primary fermentor and one in your bottling bucket. You'll never need to siphon again.

Tom

But you will need to clean up one hell of a mess when those spigots eventually leak.

Yeah, this how I bottle too. I suck in about 10oz of beer with a tube into my mouth then slowly, slowly release it into the bottle, then repeat for each bottle. Cap and your done!

I use a turkey baster to siphon, just push the nose of the baster into to the end of the hose(with the ball already squeezed),then release the ball and the flow should start going through the tube and at that time quickly remove the baster from the tube and put the tube where you want the brew to flow to.

haha my cousin had this ingenious idea as well

Hmm.. I like this idea, as long as the Baster is dedicated to brewing. I just bought an Auto-Siphon, and while it is easy, it's way to slow. IMO

I just cant get my auto-siphon to work, I believe it is to small or something, I have watched a few videos and I believe I'm doing exactly what they are... I just got bored after trying like 5 different times so I just put liquid in the line and start the siphon that way

I think I've had the same problem. I'm not sure if I have a defective siphon or if I'm not doing something right. There usually isn't a problem with a full 5 gallon batch, but if I have a stall, even with a good 8 inches or more liquid left, I can't seem to develop enough pressure to push it over the bend in the racking cane. I'm not sure if the plunger is a slight bit small on the end? I know the instructions say to heat this with hot water (I guess to expand it), but it usually doesn't help. Anyone ever have this problem?

Just saw on youtube to use a carboy cap, putting your racking cane through one hole and blowing through the other. Might try this next time I have trouble. I do have to say, out of all the steps in the brewing process, racking has been the most PITA for me. I get so angry, sometimes, that the SWIMBO has to leave the room.

Well, you aren't going to get an autosiphon to work when the liquid gets low enough and blowing into a carboy cap is still pushing germs into your beer.

Just saw on youtube to use a carboy cap, putting your racking cane through one hole and blowing through the other. Might try this next time I have trouble. I do have to say, out of all the steps in the brewing process, racking has been the most PITA for me. I get so angry, sometimes, that the SWIMBO has to leave the room.

I've been doing this... works pretty good. (acually, I've done it by sucking on the second hole...)

Back