Siphoning Hot Wort (No-Chill)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remuS

Reaction score
I'm am currently in the works of moving on to all-grain brewing. I've got a keggle, but have not used it yet.

Previously I had used a wort chiller while doing extract/pm batches, and recently I moved into a place where water is not paid for by the landlord. I am looking into the No-Chill method for cooling wort and am wondering how other No-Chill brewers get the wort from their kettle to the HDPE jug without a ball-valve.

I was thinking of building the t-siphon (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/flyguys-t-siphon-3-replacement-autosiphon-25774/) using silicon tubing.

Thoughts? Suggestions (besides getting a valve)?

The "T" siphon should work for you, but the first thing I would do is install a drain on the kettle. Is there some reason why you do not want to install a drain valve? It's a relatively easy and inexpensive mod. It's a must have IMO.

As far as the drain on the kettle. I would love to have one, I just do not have the means to get one installed. I don't have the required circle saw and am not sure if I know anyone with one. I have been looking into the weld-less ones.

And not wanting to use the wort-chiller is a personal choice to save water. Some would argue I'm cheap, and that may be the motivating factor by choosing to go the no-chill route.

I dont understand you not wanting to use your wort chiller.

+1 The cost of water in Montana can't be very much and it's probably very cold so you won't use a lot of it either. I'd be surprised if you used even $1 worth of water during the chill.

As far as the drain on the kettle. I would love to have one, I just do not have the means to get one installed. I don't have the required circle saw and am not sure if I know anyone with one. I have been looking into the weld-less ones.

And not wanting to use the wort-chiller is a personal choice to save water. Some would argue I'm cheap, and that may be the motivating factor by choosing to go the no-chill route.

+1 on not understanding how to put a valve on the kettle. I don't know if I have the means to do it. I've searched for tips and tricks of videos etc. If anyone knows of a visual how to do map out somewhere, I'd love to see it.:mug:

-1000 on the no wort chiller.:confused:

Thanks everyone for their replies. And trust me, I do like my wort chiller a lot. However I would like to explore No-Chill brewing. If you are unfamiliar, see : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/exploring-no-chill-brewing-117111/

As for the cost of water in MT, no it's not a lot and it is fairly cold coming out. It just seems like a 'waste' of water which I would like to avoid.

As for the cost of the water, price it out vs a few HDPE containers.

If harming the earth makes you said, save the output water and use it in the washing machine or to clean up the kettle. I run my output to a sprinkler (the water cools enough before hitting the grass to not harm it).

I've never understood all of the hysteria about wasting water. Water is a renewable resource. It falls from the sky where I live and massive amounts of the stuff runs freely down the river and ultimately to the oceans. Unless you live in a drought stricken area or maybe in a desert region, I just don't get it. I've visited Montana more than a few times and it looked to me like there was an abundance of water. Streams and lakes were everywhere, not to mention copious amounts of snowfall in the winter. I do understand that energy is consumed at the water treatment plants, so there certainly is an environmental impact, but this can be said for just about anything produced, processed or consumed. If you really want to do something meaningful to save the planet, reduce your TV viewing time. That TV is sucking down a lot more power than you may realize. Pardon the rant, but I just think the water conservation thing is way overblown. There's little doubt that we will be facing worldwide water shortages one day, but saving a little water way up somewhere in Montana is unlikely to change that much.

You can buy a hole saw or step bit for not too much dinero. Certainly you or a friend would have a drill motor of some kind. Weldless fittings will work just fine.

So, you say some would argue that you are cheap for wanting to save some money on your water bill. How much money do you think you are actually talking about here? I think it's probably a lot less than you realize.

Latest posts

Back