Siphon tube during mash and low OG, ruined beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgil1

Reaction score
So I finished by eBIAB panel. Brewed my first beer today. The SSR was late(don't order one from Amazon), so I turned the heating element on and off manually and watched the temperature. My recipe:
IPA
12.5 lbs 2 Row Pale Malt
3/4 lb Cara-Pils
1/2 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
1/2 lb White Wheat Malt

154 degrees (ish) for an hour. I had some trouble with the pump once I got it to temp and put the grain in, and I lost a bunch of water. So I put some water in (after putting the grain in) and brought it back to temp. It went down to about 120 from 160 when I put the water in. That was probably a bad way to fix it.

Then, as we were mashing in, we realized I left a siphon tube in the basket(under the bag, but in the basket, the heating element is UNDER the basket, its a Bayou Classic 44 QT pot). At that point, it was not worth fishing it out, so we left it around 154 degrees for the entire hour. Then we took out the basket/bag and let it drain a bit.

Took it to a boil, had a few boil overs(need to get that SSR installed and the PID working to keep my temp!). This was my hop schedule:

1.5 oz Chinook [13.0%] - Boil 75 min
0.5 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 30 min
1.0 oz Cascade [5.5%] - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Amarillo Gold [8.5%] - Boil 0 min
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 0 min Ho

So a total boil of 75 mins.

I took a sample before and after the boil, it was at about 1.035. Pretty low. I had a ton of fun and I learned a lot, so no biggie.

Pitched California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) at around 74.

Should I toss the beer since the hose was in? With the low OG will the ABV be super low? Turn it into a 'Session IPA'?

This is the hose I left in(remember, at no more than 154, not at boiling):
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/tubing-1.html

All the research I've done suggests dumping it is safest. I emailed Midwest brewing and Northern brewer(I had bought tubing from both and wasn't sure which one I had used for sure). They both got back to me quickly. Northern said dump it, and that it's vinyl tubing. Midwest said its "most likely PVC" and it was up to me, but it probably leached into the wort. Live and learn! Always check your pot before you start, especially if you were circulating PBW or Starstan through it to clean items.

I took a sample before and after the boil, it was at about 1.035. Pretty low. I had a ton of fun and I learned a lot, so no biggie.

Pitched California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) at around 174.

Was the gravity 1.035 before the boil and 1.035 after the boil? That is impossible so one of the measurements had to be different, which one?

I hope the 174 is a typo, and should have read 74 degrees. If 174 you will probably need to get more yeast, as you fried them.

still a little warm... bring in down to to the mid 60s if possible... At least below 70

Thanks! This was my first run with my counterflow chiller. I should be able to get it below 70. Our water is pretty cold out of the tap here in San Francisco.

Latest posts

Back