Sink in the basement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babalu87

Reaction score
Is the only real option having it run into a sump that is pumped out into the yard/sewer?

My sink would be below grade.
I am tiring of bringing kegs etc upstairs to clean.
Also tired of the swill bucket for initial run-offs from kegs............... maybe I'll brew a Flanders :drunk:

Most use a sewage crock and sewage pump to get things up to the sewage outlet.

When my house was built, the builder installed the sewage crock and drain lines for a bthroom. I only had to add the pump and make the connections needed to the drain system and vent to the roof. I now have wet bar, bathroom and I am adding a utility sink to my brew area for the same reason you list.

Cleaning kegs etc at my bar just makes a mess of the bar, countertop and floor.

Look for utility sink "tubs" or laundry "tubs". I use a Zoller but Flotec also makes a decent one. The images is of the Zoller unit I used, a 131.

1310001.jpg

http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/Products/homeimprove/drainpump.htm

Although most towns have strict codes about dumping - if you are simply using it for beer brewing and using biodegradable cleaning products...

Get a slop sink from your local home products warehouse.

Get two "y" fittings to tap water off your hot and cold washing machine service (if you have a service in the basement) to feed the sink faucet.

Drain it to a five gallon bucket with a cheap sump pump connected to a garden hose so that it discharges on your property AWAY from your drinking well (if you have one).

The only issue you should have is how to get the drain hose out of the house without leaving the basement door or window open and where the drain hose will ultimately discharge.

I've proposed this, presuming you don't live in an appartment downtown, of course (can't give those neighbors or environmentalists a reason to complain - and I work for an environmental company)!

I have an extra washing machine tap and drain set up in my garage and I've simply connected a slop sink with bucket/sump pump set up. Mine drains to my septic but again, if you are using it just for beer waste with bio products...there is really NO issue.

Hope this gives you some ideas on how to handle your situation.

Cheers!

As an Environmental Professional I would take the other approach...find a way to pipe it into your existing wastewater system. Dry wells or pumping onto your yard could spell problems or, depending on where you live, calls to the Town/City by your neighbors. Unless you have some SERIOUS limitations, you should be able to figure out a way to do it.

Thanks guys

I live on 6 acres of land
My house is just about dead nuts in the center of said land
My closest neighbor is 450 feet away

I think a sump pump into the septic system may be the easiest/cheapest way out.
I'll tie in to my hot water/cold water pipes in the basement then a 5 gallon bucket/pump up and over to where the washing machine goes into the septic.

The system should love all that yeastie trub anyway :ban:

I think that will be your best bet in the long run...you really won't be increasing the demand on your septic (as long as it is in good shape).

I think that will be your best bet in the long run...you really won't be increasing the demand on your septic (as long as it is in good shape).

;)
During the "Summer" season (IE after all frost warnings) I use my outside sink on the deck for keg/carboy cleaning and that just runs into the back of the garden but I drain that down every fall.

Thanks guys

I live on 6 acres of land
My house is just about dead nuts in the center of said land
My closest neighbor is 450 feet away

I think a sump pump into the septic system may be the easiest/cheapest way out.
I'll tie in to my hot water/cold water pipes in the basement then a 5 gallon bucket/pump up and over to where the washing machine goes into the septic.

The system should love all that yeastie trub anyway :ban:

How does the washing machine feed into the septic? Can you tie into the same drain?

How does the washing machine feed into the septic? Can you tie into the same drain?

Yes, the water is pumped up (by the washer) to a pipe and that pipe drains into the septic system.
I will just put my sump hose in that pipe.

Latest posts

Back