Single tier stand stainless???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlwahler

Reaction score
i am buying a single tier stand, i was going to go with mild steel but for $100 more i can get the same stand in stainless steel( it isnt poilished or high grade stainless) is it worth it for $100?? i know with a painted steel the paint will come off the windguards and top of the stand form heat etc...also the stainless will discolor form the heat just like on the bottom of the keggle....what do u guys think i should do , alos do everyone recommend having pump shields or are they not worth it

i am buying a single tier stand, i was going to go with mild steel but for $100 more i can get the same stand in stainless steel( it isnt poilished or high grade stainless) is it worth it for $100?? i know with a painted steel the paint will come off the windguards and top of the stand form heat etc...also the stainless will discolor form the heat just like on the bottom of the keggle....what do u guys think i should do , alos do everyone recommend having pump shields or are they not worth it

For a hundred bucks...I'd upgrade. Stainless will last much longer than typical steel and it looks a lot nicer too. As for pump shields...I use them, but with the way my pump is mounted, I probably didn't need to make any. It sits right below my mash, but the valve on the mash + the camlock fitting makes it stick out farther than my pump. It has never dripped on it because of this. Better safe than sorry though.

Just $100 more? Go for it. Stainless is 4 times more expensive than mild, sounds like a great deal.

Also splurge for the motor shields. Sugar will be impossible to get out of them should you splash some wort in there.

i am buying a stainless stand from brewers equipment. i am torn between single tier or 2 tier, its not a matter of pumps, i dont mind buying 2 pumps , what do the pros think, am i better off in the long riun with 2 tier for more options or what, i would have to pump out of the BK toi the fermenter with the 2 tier, with the single i could gravity in, any advice is appreciated

i am buying a stainless stand from brewers equipment. i am torn between single tier or 2 tier, its not a matter of pumps, i dont mind buying 2 pumps , what do the pros think, am i better off in the long riun with 2 tier for more options or what, i would have to pump out of the BK toi the fermenter with the 2 tier, with the single i could gravity in, any advice is appreciated

Just got mine from Marcus at Brewers Equip. It was a few weeks late, but it's really nice. If it isnt too late you might want to order the bigger casters. The standard ones will only work on smooth concrete.

Just $100 more? Go for it. Stainless is 4 times more expensive than mild, sounds like a great deal.

Also splurge for the motor shields. Sugar will be impossible to get out of them should you splash some wort in there.

Pretty much what you are saying there is the steel in a brew stand is worth ~$33 ($133 for SS), all the other money you pay for it goes into the fabrication/overheads/profit :) That is the kind of split I would expect, materials are cheap compared with fabrication.
For work, sometime equipment made from SS is pretty close to the same price as painted CS due to all the wasted paint due to overspraying when painting small sections.

Your question has me a little confused. Money doesn't seem to much of a problem for you (Lucky fellow :D ). Buy the single tier and two pumps. This will give you more options in the long run.

If I knew how to post a YouTube link in here I would but I don't so go to Google, select videos and search for "Bobby_M brewstand" He shows how to use the single tiered brew stand with hands on. I think he only uses one pump but I'm probably wrong. This is the second post today that I referenced Bobby_M. The guy is a great teacher. Check him out out on YouTube and this HBT.com

Retail price on mild steel for a single tier is aprox $130, SS is about 30% more and a real pain to work with. SS wants to change size and move around while you're welding it.
Brewers Equipment is selling the stands at incredibly low price... don't know how he does it...

I do not own one of their stands but I would take a look and this so there are no surprises.

Back