Single tier pump questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hello gents,

Today I'll be ordering two march pumps for what will be my single tier stand. I'm getting pretty heavily invested in this project which will be a direct fire rims system. I have purchased three banjo burners and converted three keggles thus far. I bought a welder and will be teaching myself to use it in the coming weeks. I recently won about $450 from playing fantasy football and thought I would funnel that into my system and the next logical step seems to be to buy my pumps.

It looks like the march 809 is the standard, but there a a lot of variations it looks like.

Any advice before taking the plunge?

I'm quite certain this wilds a recycled post.... Sorry.

Huaco said:
Look for Chugger pumps... I have heard a lot of good things about them here as well as my LHBS.

Ok ..... One quick google search turned up a stainless steel head chugged pump for less money than a march with a brass or even a plastic head.... Now I'm confused. Cheaper and better?

Chugger has been having issues with their new line and I think they may even be out of them for who knows how long. That said, I've also heard Chugger has great customer service. I personally didn't want to deal with a pump that may fail and having to deal with any customer service, so I went with March. I have a March 815 for wort transfer and a March 809 for water circulation. Both have the front 3/4" inlet. I've only been testing things on my rig so far, but they seem to work perfect for what I wanted.
Tom

TomRep said:
Chugger has been having issues with their new line and I think they may even be out of them for who knows how long. That said, I've also heard Chugger has great customer service. I personally didn't want to deal with a pump that may fail and having to deal with any customer service, so I went with March. I have a March 815 for wort transfer and a March 809 for water circulation. Both have the front 3/4" inlet. I've only been testing things on my rig so far, but they seem to work perfect for what I wanted.
Tom

Hey there Tom thank you for the input! there really is so much that I am not sure about still. Fly sparge auto sparge. Decision hasn't been made yet.to be honest instill am learning the science or technique of all grain I just know it looks like fun and building something like this gets me out from in front of the tv.

So what was your thinking or strategy with the two different pumps?

I posted a link to my build below. Basically I'm doing an all electric Kal clone build. He uses a HERMS system so the 809 will be to circulate the water in the HLT while mashing. the 815 will be used to move the wort from vessel to vessel. I found on my system that the 815 gives me the perfect amount of flow to whirlpool after the boil. Obviously everyones system will be different with flow rates due to kettles sizes and such.
Tom
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-basement-brewroom-build-264546/

I love my chugger pumps.

DSCN0121.jpg

The difference between the Chugger and the March is the actual Pump itself. Both pumps use 110v motors that are comparable to each other. Both units use magnetic coupling to drive the impeller.

The main difference is the pump itself. They are designed almost identically except that the Chugger pump head is made of stainless steel, and the March is made of a high grade plastic.

They are both 1/2" connections and have pretty much the same flow rate.

I work in industrial food processing and the reason I would go with Stainless (when ever you can afford to do it)is if you get a scratch in the plastic, making it harder to clean, it creates a harbor for unwanted bacteria or other micro-organisms.

If you cool down your wort with the same pump, you run the possability of introducing something other than yeast during fermentation.

I believe that chugger used to actually distribute march pumps. March pulled the distribution rights when chugger came out with a SS model, even though march does not have a SS model, go figure.

Chugger pumps are great. Plus they are super quiet. Any issues with the pumps and the customer service is second to none!!!

Texan said:
The difference between the Chugger and the March is the actual Pump itself. Both pumps use 110v motors that are comparable to each other. Both units use magnetic coupling to drive the impeller.

The main difference is the pump itself. They are designed almost identically except that the Chugger pump head is made of stainless steel, and the March is made of a high grade plastic.

They are both 1/2" connections and have pretty much the same flow rate.

I work in industrial food processing and the reason I would go with Stainless (when ever you can afford to do it)is if you get a scratch in the plastic, making it harder to clean, it creates a harbor for unwanted bacteria or other micro-organisms.

If you cool down your wort with the same pump, you run the possability of introducing something other than yeast during fermentation.

I believe that chugger used to actually distribute march pumps. March pulled the distribution rights when chugger came out with a SS model, even though march does not have a SS model, go figure.

Interesting, thank you for your feedback!

March does offer stainless heads for their pumps.

I have not bought a Chugger yet, the reviews have been up and down, but then again so are the reviews for March.

I have owned 7 March 809s over the years for various rigs and have always been happy with them.

March does offer stainless heads for their pumps.

I have not bought a Chugger yet, the reviews have been up and down, but then again so are the reviews for March.

I have owned 7 March 809s over the years for various rigs and have always been happy with them.

When I did my research and bought my pumps, the march did not offer the SS head. (at least I never saw it)

March had stainless heads for their pumps for at least two years or so. Never heard of a March pump before that so I can't comment.
Tom

A friend of mine has a chugger and hates it he says it very loud.
I have a march and have run over 600 gallons through it with no problems, I run a rims tube so the pump is on alot.

Btw How would you scratch the inside of the pump ?
img1362171xw2.jpg

Back