Single infusion vs. step mash for wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EkieEgan

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat years ago (when I was actively brewing) and used a simple single infusion to mash and I never got the proteins that was expected with a wheat, so I switched to a step in raised my temp by heating directly on the stove, but never boiled the mash like a decotion mash. That first wheat was actually clear. Is it coincidence that my results were better with the step infusion? Is a step infusion worth the effort? It's not like I am doing a decotion. I did have better results as far as wheat flavor and appearnce. How does everyone mash for their wheats and wits?

Simple infusion. It's still cloudy when I brew what and wit. Probably a coincidence but I don't have and explanation for a clear what beer unless cleared over time, which is natural. Decoctions could be associated with more flavor but that's through Millard reaction. If you aren't boiling a thick portion of mash separately I wouldn't expect those flavors.

Clear or not is more often a function of the yeast you use. Many traditional wheat and wit yeast are poor flocculators. If you want cloudy, a good way is to add a little starch to your boil. This will give a permanent haze.

As to step vs simple infusion, I am a die hard fan of step infusions (super easy on my rig), particularly when I am using ingredients with a lot of wheat. I find it very helpful to keep my beers from being too "heavy". I've had too many wheat beers that were quite filling as opposed to light and refreshing

If you want anything near authentic, you need to step mash. I've been running my step mashes 60 minutes at 145F, then raising to 161F for another 60 minutes. But some people will also incorporate a ferulic acid rest for their wheats. I do not do this.
Decoction is a waste of time. I believe that 212F is not hot enough for noticeable Millard reactions to take place.

My signature hefe is a single infusion at 149f.

American Wheat Beer yeast such as WLP320 will flocc much clearer than say WLP300 or WB-06

I dont use any Irish moss in my hef's either.

I am a technical but KISS brewer and for years just did infusions for my hefe and they were good but last year's I did a short hochkurz (15m each step) and I think it made a noticeable difference=more authentic. Not night and day, but I think worthwhile enough I will continue using it. I had done decoctions in the past and I felt they were not worth the effort.

I also did a ferulic acid rest last year but did not notice much from that. That said, did not rest at the higher pH spec'd. Next hefe (up soon) will be 113F for 15m (hold the acid malt), add acid malt and ramp to 145F for 15m, ramp to 158F for 15m, ramp to mash out at 180F (transfer to tun drops back down). All done in about an hour.

All my hefes clear after a few weeks (no kettle additions). I have to shake the keg. This is typical IMO.

I am a technical but KISS brewer and for years just did infusions for my hefe and they were good but last year's I did a short hochkurz (15m each step) and I think it made a noticeable difference=more authentic. Not night and day, but I think worthwhile enough I will continue using it. I had done decoctions in the past and I felt they were not worth the effort.

I also did a ferulic acid rest last year but did not notice much from that. That said, did not rest at the higher pH spec'd. Next hefe (up soon) will be 113F for 15m (hold the acid malt), add acid malt and ramp to 145F for 15m, ramp to 158F for 15m, ramp to mash out at 180F (transfer to tun drops back down). All done in about an hour.

All my hefes clear after a few weeks (no kettle additions). I have to shake the keg. This is typical IMO.

Hey, man! Miss chatting with you on the Northern Brewer forum. Quit going there when they redid the forum. You should come over to the AHA forum and chat about this stuff too.

15 minutes for each rest, that's short. I've been doing 60 minutes for each rest 145F and 160F lately on my German lagers and plan to for hefes this year. Extra time, but I feel it's worth it for the attenuation factor and the mouth feel and head retention you get. Germans don't cut any corners, why should we? They know their sh*t.

Been a member over there for years but nothing much gets flagged when I search for stuff. Just logged in over there and see ALOT of familiar names I haven't seen in awhile...

An hour each? No time for that. Now that I think I will be cranking lagers out more frequently (fermenting 34/70 at ale temps) I would be willing to try 30m each and see if that improves things. Also, I really want to coax more clove out of WB06. If I can't do that with the high pH ferulic acid rest then I will follow suit with you and go back to 3068. Hefe is up next, brewing house IPA today. Gonna be a little cold at 40F...

Back