Simultaneous partial mashing and boil. Critique my plan.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajwillys

Reaction score
Hi everyone, based on an idea from this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=68199

I am planning on doing a partial mashing in one pot at the same time as the boil in another part. I would appreciate it if someone would critique my plan. I'm mostly worried about things like hop utilization, mashing efficiency, and the like. Is there something else I'm missing? I am planning on boiling the whole deal for 5 minutes at the end for sanitary reasons.

Thanks, and here is my plan:

Pot 1:
Add the specialty grains in the grain bag and 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grains. Bring up to 154 degrees and hold for 45 minutes. Pour the wort back over the mash. Sparge with about 1 gallon of water at 180 degrees. Discard grains. Let sit until 5 minutes before other pot is done. Pour into other pot.

Pot 2:
Bring 1 gallon water to a boil and add 1/4 of the extract. Follow hops schedule in this pot. Add other 3/4 of extract at approx. 15 minutes left in boil. When 5 minutes are left in boil, add other pot to this pot.

Together:
Add topoff water, cool to pitching temperature, and pitch

Not a great plan. You REALLY want to boil any mashed product for at least 60 minutes to drive off DMS and other volatiles. A better idea is to accomplish your partial mash, boil that wort without the extract while following the hops schedule, then add the extract late. Top off and cool.

Not a great plan. You REALLY want to boil any mashed product for at least 60 minutes to drive off DMS and other volatiles. A better idea is to accomplish your partial mash, boil that wort without the extract while following the hops schedule, then add the extract late. Top off and cool.

Hmm, ok.... So I AM missing something. I didn't think about the DMS and volatiles, etc.... The purpose of the separate pots was to cut down on time but I guess I'll just do it separately since I don't want to compromise quality for the sake of time.

Thanks for the help. :mug:

Latest posts

Back