Simple Sugars and Appley/Cidery Off-flavors (I know, I know...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDarcy

Reaction score
First, let me state up front that I am NOT proposing that using refined sugars (e.g., table sugar or corn sugar) as adjuncts in a recipe will necessarily lead to appley or cidery flavors. When I started encountering these off-flavors in my own beers, my research at first produced such suggestions though subsequent research seemed to reveal that there is no real science to back this up (and/or that I could be ridiculed for believing it). That being said, I’m hoping someone can help me understand why my last two IPAs (in which I did use table sugar) are the only beers I’ve ever brewed with this pronounced cidery/appley off-flavor. It’s been really disappointing and almost undrinkable. Help! I trust this is a processual error…

I like IPAs, but don’t love them or want to drink them all the time. (If I could make a decent one, however, maybe I’d think differently…) So, I’ve only brewed three of them:

FIRST ATTEMPT: No apple/cider off-flavor
Extract recipe. My notes back then weren’t great, but I used 8 oz table sugar and probably fermented at ~67-68F for three weeks with Wyeast 1056 (in 2L starter). OG = 1.065; FG = 1.014. Bottled with priming sugar and kept at room temperature for at least 2 weeks to carb. Tasted great, relatively dry, with good hop aroma. Of course, my palate may have changed since then, but I certainly don’t remember apple or cider flavors at all…

SECOND ATTEMPT: Pronounced apple/cider off-flavor
All-grain. Infusion mash at 152F in a 10-gallon cooler. Added 12 oz table sugar w 30 min left in the boil. OG = 1.064. Pitched a dry yeast called Mangrove Jack Workhorse (recommended by my LHBS but I’ll never use it again) and fermented at 65F for three weeks, kegged and dry-hopped in keg. When served, very appley and it never really improved after sitting in keg for a few more weeks. Ended-up dumping it. One thing to note is that this Mangrove Jack yeast didn’t seem to want to go any lower than 1.016 and I tried rousing the yeast, warming the fermenter, etc., but it never dropped.

THIRD ATTEMPT: Pronounced apple/cider off-flavor
All-grain. Infusion mash at 149F in a 10-gallon cooler. Added 8 oz of table sugar at beginning of boil. OG = 1.065. Pitched WLP007 (in 1.75L starter) and it blasted through the beer fermenting at 65F. Reached FG = 1.012 after 8 days. Added dry hops after two weeks in primary, transferred to keg after 4 more days. Again, super-strong apple-like off-flavor!

I realize there’s a lot of variables here and not much consistency in recipe or process among my IPA attempts. But this is really discouraging and I feel like there must be SOME relationship to the simple sugars (again, I’ve never had these off-flavors in any other beer, and these are the only beers I’ve ever used simple sugars; but I also know some of the world’s great beers use simple sugars...). I don’t know…the only major differences I see between the first attempt and the appley/cidery attempts is switching to all-grain, fermenting at slightly lower temps, using yeast strains other than Wyeast 1056, and kegging instead of bottling.

Anyhow, any suggestions or insight would be helpful. I can post recipes but didn’t here because I’ve already taken-up so much space…

Sorry this thread got posted twice! I don't know how to delete it!

And WTF?! I just looked at the details for Table Sugar in Beersmith and it says, "White table sugar, or sucrose primarily is used to increase alcohol. Using too much will add a cider flavor to beer."

I realize there’s a lot of variables here and not much consistency in recipe or process among my IPA attempts.

Yeah, too many variables.

My only suggestion is to brew another without sugar.

Used it before an had no issues with cidery off flavors. How are you measuring your fermentation temperatures?

Thanks for the responses. I feel like I'm lucky to get any!

Anyhow, I measure my fermentation temperatures with a temp controller. The problem is taped to the side of my carboy/bucket in a water bath. Cooling isn't an issue where I live, so an aquarium heater is attached to the controller.

I just wonder if, somehow, something in my fermentation process (e.g., temperature) combined with the more fermentable wort because of the addition of the simple sugars, is somehow resulting in fermentation that is "too quick"--like, the yeasties do all their work, and do it quickly, and for some reason I'm left with this green tasting beer, regardless of how long the beer conditions are stays in primary. I don't know enough, obviously...

I'm actually beginning to think I should ramp up the heat later in my fermentation schedule. Maybe even up to the low 70sF after high krausen.

Back