Simple & stowable 3-tier setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freshouj

Reaction score
Finally moving up from 5 to 10 gallon all-grain batches in a few weeks. I needed to figure out a way to make simple 3-tier setup they I can easily break down and put away while I'm boiling or chilling the wort.

My goal was to use existing stuff sitting around my garage. Used existing sawhorses, sawhorse 2x4 brackets I bought a few years ago, leftover plywood, and a few leftover 1x2's with clamps to prevent the top from tipping off.

I will use the burner for both HLT and Boil Kettle. I'm excited to try it out soon, and even happier that I'm not losing any garage storage space. Cheap and easy too, cheers!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458018085.701528.jpg

Looks good; how much lifting do you need to do to get the boil kettle onto a burner?. Hope you don't have to deadlift that thing up and onto the HLT burner.

That's a valid question. I batch sparge so I'm planning to move the burner down to ground level after the first runnings are collected, and the HLT has been emptied of the sparge water into the cooler. I will still have to lift up half the volume (or so) of first runnings/kettle onto the ground level burner, but that should pretty manageable for now.

I'll fill the HLT from my garage sink and drinking water/RV hose. As you mentioned, I don't want to clean & jerk that thing up onto the burner on table.

Worst case, I scrap the idea and do BIAB on the ground and it really hasn't costed me anything to experiment a bit.

I do something similar but I use a table from Costco. I batch sparge and have the same burner setup so I drain into primary buckets or my HLT (7 gallon stainless steel pot) then pour that into my boil kettle.

Awesome. I feel like the only guy who doesn't own a march pump. Like to keep it simple and cheap.

Good for you! I was tossing around the idea of building a 3 tier brew stand, so I started toying around with setting it up using what I had on hand. Just like you I grabbed saw horses or built what I needed with scraps. What I ended up with worked well enough I didn't see the need to build anything more. Working well for a year or more now ( ;

IMG_20151017_114337.jpg

Like it. You really don't need much vertical drop to get the fluid moving with a siphoning action. Sawhorses for the win! :mug:

Back