Simple Indoor HERMS Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdavidw

Reaction score
MT with auto sparge
img_4978-62270.jpg

Heating strike & sparge together
1-heating-strike--sparge-62339.jpg

Pump strike to MT
2-pumping-strike-62340.jpg

Recirculating mash
3-recirulating-mash-62341.jpg

Pump sparge to HLT
4-pumping-sparge-62342.jpg

Sparge & start boil
5-sparge--boil-start-62343.jpg

Chill
6-chill-62344.jpg

Rack to fermenter
7-rack-to-fermenter-62345.jpg

Keg
img_4998-62299.jpg

Drink
img_5002-62297.jpg

Very nice!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks! I have been doing extract once or twice a month for about three years and started making wine in 1987. I did 2 gravity all-grain three tier batches and this was my 1st with pumps. I hit 43% efficiency my 1st try :cross: (Bad thermometer in my MT, way too cold. Temp was correct but I chilled it down and added DME to correct) and 82% and 83% on my next two. Is my above basic methodology sound? Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the set up? I like having the HERMS to control temps. I also like cutting down on my brew time by starting my boil while sparing.

Two random questions:
1. PH Buffer and Burton Water Salts? Should I use both or just one and if so which? I rebuild the water from an RO system.
2. Very high gravity all grain beers, for example 5 gallon batch 18.5 lbs of grain with a target of 1.086 SG. I have a 10 gallon BK, should I start with 9.5 gallons of water and use 5.8 gallons to strike and then only sparge with 3.7 gallons? With 1.2 gallons lost in the grain, I could boil down the 7.3 gallons of wort to 6.5 gallons in about 36 min. What type of efficiency numbers should I expect, perhaps 65-70%? Any better way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Latest posts

Back