Simple Blonde Partial Mash for review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonell

Reaction score
Bear with me for formatting. This is my first post, though I've been brewing hybrid extract for about two years, and searching this site for my needs for about ~18 months. I thought I would share a recipe, get some feedback, and maybe ask a question or three from our more experienced brewers.

This recipe is a partial mash version off of

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/simple-blonde-ale-extract-54953/

which I made last year, and it was one of my better brews.

The goal for the mash is partial mash 2 gallons for 30-40 minutes (152°F), then sparge deathbrewer-style with 1.5 gallons (170°F) and come out with ~ 3 gallon boil volume and then a ~2.5 gallon top-up into the fermenter.

4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 52.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.8 %
4.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 2.9 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 38.6 %
0.75 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 8.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 5.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 8 0.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 9 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.8 %
Bitterness: 13.4 IBUs
Est Color: 4.1 SRM

I upped the gravity to account for inevitable lower efficiency from first-time partial mashing.

Questions!:

I have an ounce (7.3%AA) of Cascade hops left over from something. Where could I add it here? This blonde is a bit light on IBU's so I could keep the 2oz of Willamette, and do an ounce at 60, and then cut the 1min addition to 1/4oz + add the Cascade 0.5oz each at 10min and 1 min.

This will be a 2-3 week primary and then straight to bottle with maybe a gallon held off to strawberry-ify.

Thoughts?

You could leave the Willamette where they are and just add the cascade to your current hopping schedule by adding half at 5 min and the other half at 1 or 0 min with the last of the Willamette.

As for the ferment, your plan sounds fine. I personally don't ever secondary unless I'm dry-hopping, extended aging, or I'm adding something to the beer (fruit, oak, nibs, etc) and contact time is needed.

Good luck!

Brewed this tonight and achieved 60% efficiency, which equates to 4.5 gallons of 1.054 wort. Not bad for a first try. If I had a second kettle it would probably go better, as I would be able to dunk the grain bag into the sparge water, rather than just pouring the water over the grain bag with a measuring cup.

Bottled this brew two nights ago. It attenuated well down to 1.013, which is excellent. My interior closet stayed a nice 66-68 for the duration. Smell was superb, and 2 gallons were bottled with 1 oz of strawberry extract (~half the recommended amount/volume, because I heard it was really potent).

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Back