Simple blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brienmt

Reaction score
Going to try to make a 5gal batch of a simple blonde ale

It was suggested on here to go with
80% base to 20% wheat.
(So 8lbs & 2lbs for grain bill)

Using saaz and hallertau hops for bittering to about 20 ibu adding a half ounce at 5 mins for extra flavor.

Using Mangrove jacks west coast m44 yeast

question: how much hops and when to achieve 20 IBUs?

5 gal batch
It’s a blonde ale from what I’ve read markers
are somewhere around ...
  • OG1.045 - 1.054
  • FG1.008 - 1.016
  • ABV4.1% - 5.1%
  • IBU15 - 25
    the hops are
  • 9.4 % alpha acid hallertau
  • 3% alpha acid saaz

• OG1.045 - 1.054

Well, the real question is what will the OG be for your recipe?

• 9.4 % alpha acid hallertau
  • 3% alpha acid saaz

Are you sure about the 9.4% AA on the Hallertau? I can't think of a Hallertau variety that would typically have that. Most (like Hallertau Mittelfruh) would be quite a bit lower. And Hallertau Magnum would normally be quite a bit higher.

@VikeMan is right. Double check the AA% of the Hallertau. It sounds like it may be Hallertau Magnum rather than Mittelfruh. Otherwise, good looking recipe. I've been brewing more lighter recipes lately, and Blondes are a good place to start. They're easier to pull off than light lagers (or lagers in general), and any "flaws" are easier to overlook and forgive!

I think Blondes are under appreciated, but don't tell SWMBO'd. I actually had one last night (a beer, that is) from a local micro brewery and it blew me away with its simplicity. Been spending the day trying to figure out what made it so special, as well as how I can copy it.

Well, the real question is what will the OG be for your recipe?

Are you sure about the 9.4% AA on the Hallertau? I can't think of a Hallertau variety that would typically have that. Most (like Hallertau Mittelfruh) would be quite a bit lower. And Hallertau Magnum would normally be quite a bit higher.

correct I haveHallertau Mittelfruh and package says 9.4

Thanks ... speaking of micros I had a beer from a local micro brewery Saturday with amerillo hops ... wow it was tasty.

think batch after this blonde ale will be searching for a good recipe utilizing Amarillo

All suggestions accepted.

Thanks ... speaking of micros I had a beer from a local micro brewery Saturday with amerillo hops ... wow it was tasty.

think batch after this blonde ale will be searching for a good recipe utilizing Amarillo

All suggestions accepted.

Amarillo is a great citrusy hop in any APA or IPA, maybe even in a "Mexican lager with Lime" type of beer as well. Very versatile hop, plays well with Cascade and Citra for sure.

Very useful tool, though it doesn't really address the time/temperature utilization of hopstand and whirlpooling at temperatures below boiling.

BrewCipher and BeerSmith do that. And maybe some others by now. Not sure.

using 10lbs of 2 row and 2 lbs of wheat-- after your mash collect about 7 gallons of wort.
if you add .6 oz of Hallertau Mittelfruh at 60 and .4 oz of the same at 5, given the AA you provided and using brewer's friend that gives an estimated IBU of 20.8.
super simple
supre tasty

Latest posts

Back